Midseason changes for TV

by Melissa Brisco

At the start of each new year, television networks asses the successes and failures of their shows and choose to replace them or start a new show. In addition, there are shows that come back at the start of the new year after a year or half year off. Regardless of why, there are many changes in the landscape of television programming has changed immensely.

One new show that has been receiving much buzz is ABC’s “The Deep End”. “The Deep End” revolves around a new group of five lawyers from all different backgrounds at a prominent law firm in Los Angeles, California. The boss on the show is known for his threatening demeanor and strict personality. The show is classified as a comedy/drama and premiers Jan. 21.

“I will not be watching ‘The Deep End’, because it looks like another stereotypical sitcom with the same basic plot structure as every other, just a slightly different story line,” junior Sarah Hillier said. “I feel like its just going to be another show full of affairs, sex, and compromising situations, all of which will of course be resolved in the end so they can all live happy lives of little consequence.”

Another new show that begins this month is “Life UneXpected” on The CW. “Life Unexpected” premiers on Jan. 18 and tells the story of Lux, a 15-year-old girl who has spent her life in multiple foster homes. Lux decides that she wants control of her life so she sets out in search for her biological father and mother. The drama is expected to run 13 episodes in its first season.

“‘Life Unexpected’ seems like a good show, but I likely will not watch it because it looks too corny for me,” senior Kelly Mason said.

In addition to entirely new shows, old favorites will also be returning this new year. One highly anticipated show that started already is FOX’s “American Idol”. “American Idol” is currently in its ninth season after the Jan. 12 premier. The fan favorite show welcomes a new judge this year, talk show host, Ellen DeGeneres, as judge since the start of the show, Paula Abdul no longer is on the show.

Another returning favorite is ABC’s “The Bachelor”. This season is “The Bachelor’s” fourteenth season and features Dallas based pilot, Jake Pavelka. This season is called “On the Wings of Love” and keeps the same premise of 25 women competing for Pavelka’s heart. “The Bachelor” premiered on Jan. 4.

“I love ‘The Bachelor’ and I am excited for what this season has in store,” senior Alaina Wolf said. “The show is rumored to have some new scandals and the bachelor seems like a really great guy; I will definitely be watching.”

Also returning this January is FOX’s “24”. “24” stars Keifer Sutherland, who plays the main character Jack Bauer. “24” shows a fictional United States government organization, the Counter Terrorist Union, which fights terrorist threats. There are 24 episodes in each season and each episode is one hour long, making the show take place in a real time nature. The show’s eight season begins on Jan. 17.

NBC’s “Chuck” also returned this month. The third season of “Chuck” premiered on Jan. 10, and promises to be particularly different from the previous two seasons. The action/comedy revolves around an average, geeky boy who receives an e-mail from an old friend who is now in the CIA  that embeds the greatest spy secrets into Chuck’s brain. The tag line for the new season of “Chuck” is: “For the past two years, we’ve protected Chuck from the world, now we have to protect the world from Chuck.”

Lifetime’s “Project Runway” returned Jan. 14 for season seven. The show which moved networks from Bravo to Lifetime last year, returned to New York City with 16 new fashion designers that will, as always, compete under a time and money constraint to create the best and most aesthetically appealing clothes. The reality/competition show will feature the same hosts Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn.

As for shows that will not be returning, ABC has cancelled both “Defying Gravity” and “Eastwick”. “Defying Gravity” was a show about eight astronauts on a six year mission through space. The show was supposed to be something like a “Grey’s Anatomy” in space. The drama/science fiction show was cancelled last fall after only 13 episodes. “Eastwick”, which was classified as a supernatural/dramedy, was the adaptation of John Updike’s novel, The Witches of Eastwick.  The show revolved around three strangers who became fast friends and experienced confusing and mystical changes. In early November, ABC decided not to order any additional episodes of “Eastwick”. Only 11 of the 13 episodes of “Eastwick” originally filmed were aired.

FOX cancelled their science fiction/thriller, “Dollhouse” after only 27 episodes. “Dollhouse” revolves around a company that runs underground “dollhouses” which provides “dolls” with temporary personalities or skills that are required for whatever the wealthy client that rents the “dolls” desires. The final episode of “Dollhouse” is set to air on Jan. 29.

Other shows that are facing possible cancellation are: CBS’ “Numb3rs”, the episode order was decreased from 22 to 16,  NBC’s “Southland”, not cancelled, but moving to TNT and possibly “The Jay Leno Show” and/or “The Late Show with Conan O’Brien”.

1