Boys soccer to compete with nation’s heavyweight

By Gaby Moran

Senior defender Joey McKillop leaps to head the ball in a game against Jesuit. The Cowboys are up against the district of unprecedented competition and talent this season. Three district teams are ranked in the top 25 nationally. Photo by Tyler Morris

Usually, for people to see the nation’s top teams in soccer compete against each other, they have to make a trip across the country. However, in this circumstance, people only have to travel to District 6-5A matches to see the best.

According to ESPN Rise Fab 50, Coppell moved up 17 spots from last year to being ranked 16th in the nation this year. While that is very good, Coppell still has to compete against a few top of the teams in the nation before going to playoffs.

“We’ve put a lot of work and practice into the preseason so we’re ready to see it all come together and we expect good things,” senior captain Colton Reese said.

Before district games begin, Coppell must face Dallas Jesuit, who is ranked fourth in the nation. Last year, Jesuit was ranked No. 1 in the nation until the semifinals in playoffs, where it suffered its only loss of the season to the eventual state champions, Plano.

While Jesuit had no losses during the regular season, Coppell tied the Rangers at zero at the beginning of last season. This year, Coppell had a devastating loss to the Rangers with a score of four to zero. Jesuit has always been known to be a tough competitor, but they are not the only highly-ranked team Coppell must face.

“The difficult district is both a blessing and an obstacle,” Coach Shane Bybee said. “If a team makes the playoffs, they’re a good team. Most years they’d go a couple of rounds deep in the playoffs.  The last two years, the third round has meant matchups with an equally tough district match up with someone like Plano or Jesuit. It’s an obstacle because it is tough to make the playoffs, but a blessing because every player has to get into the habit of bringing his best game every night.”

District 6-5A, there are three teams ranked nationally in the top 25. Flower Mound Marcus, ranked No. 1 in the nation. Marcus’ soccer team won the state championship in 2007 and 2008. After losing in the third round of playoffs to Jesuit last year, Marcus plans to reclaim the championship title this year.

“We know Marcus is good,” senior captain Joey McKillop said. “It’s the same kids we have grown up playing with and against.  We know what to expect but it’s still going to be a challenge.”

The other ranked team is Southlake Carroll, who is ranked No. 23. The Dragons have many players returning from last season including two junior forwards Tim Rood and Nicholas Petrovich and juniors Justin Leal and Joe Downey in defense. Coppell and Southlake Carroll split its games last season, both winning at home by one goal.

Coppell faces the Dragons in its first district game of the season on Feb. 5 at Buddy Echols Field. This will be an important game not only for national rankings but also for playoff positioning down the road.

District 6-5A allows four teams to go to playoffs, this group of teams makes this year very difficult for the Cowboys.

“We’re very difficult to score on,” senior Kyler Hermanski said. “In the first four games and two scrimmages, the only goal we’ve given up was on a penalty kick.”

Goals will be hard to come by against Coppell’s defense. All of the starting defensive players, including the goalie, started for the varsity team last season and have been able to keep the momentum up for this year. Junior Chris Hinze, who was District 6-5A Newcomer of the Year for the 2009 season, is fully prepared to protect Coppell’s goal and allow no team to score.

“There certainly is more pressure than last year because last year we were able to score all the time but this year we are still a strong team and I think we will do great,” Hinze said.

With so many top teams in Coppell’s district and a strong defense, the soccer season will be interesting and will likely come down to the last few minutes of each game this year. Playoffs will start after spring break.

“Besides having one of the hardest districts in the state, I think we will have a good year and make it to playoffs as long as we stay organized,” senior Jaxon Williams said.