Senior girls look to support sports teams

By Amanda Peck
Video by Keely Leonard

Having cheerleaders, entertainers and fans is an important part of any sporting event, but having a specific group dedicated to cheering on the teams and providing them with treats after their games is a great benefit.

The famous group known as the Sideline Psychos was introduced to Coppell High School last year by Katie Leonard, now a freshman at Texas Tech. Leonard and several of her friends decided to make a group supporting the varsity boys soccer team. They made shirts with the player’s names and numbers on the back of them, went to all the games and gave the players treats after their games.

“I am so happy I was able to create Sideline Psychos because it ended up being even more fun than I imagined it would be in the first place,” Leonard said.

Erin Dickerson, a freshman at Oklahoma State University,  decided that when baseball season rolled around, she would do the same thing for the varsity baseball team. They called themselves the Diamond Dolls and did basically the same thing as the Sideline Psychos.  These groups ended up being a success and had many girls, mostly seniors, supporting the teams.  

This year, there are even more groups to support different sports teams than there were last year. Senior Julianne Hennessey is the leader of Sideline Psychos and  senior Caroline Cauley is the leader of Diamond Dolls. The new groups are Hockey Honeys created by senior Kim Dalrymple, Basketball Belles created by seniors Marvie Nunez and Libbie Ainsworth and LAX Lovers created by senior Karli Reichert.

Even though the groups are made to support the guys on the teams, the girls end up having just as much fun as the players.

“I think the groups are such a fun idea,” Cauley said. “We have such a great time going to the games and wearing our group t-shirts. I hope the tradition carries on for a long time.”

The players couldn’t be happier with the additional fans, who not only cheer them on and wear t-shirts with their names on the back but also bring them cookies, brownies, Gatorade and other treats along those lines for after their games.

“I’m glad we have the Diamond Dolls,” senior baseball captain Zane Feemster said. “It is fun to see my last name on their shirts and I love getting a snack after the game.”

Most of the groups’ members are seniors, but some juniors and sophomores who are close with members of the teams are included. Since this tradition apparently is appreciated and loved, it is expected to last for many years to come.