New restaurant fills Chilli’s Too’s shoes

By Satvika Ananth

In place of the typical Chilli’s fast food-style bustle, J. Macklin’s Grill features a more simple, sophisticated appearance, with sleek wooden tables and just-bright-enough lighting. The austere appearance is tempered by a few colorful paintings that give the restaurant a delightfully mellow ambiance.

The new J. Macklin's Grill, located on Denton Tap, looks fresh and sophisticated.
The new J. Macklin's Grill, located on Denton Tap, looks fresh and sophisticated. Photo by Kelly Emerson.

The restaurant’s motto of “Eat, Talk, Drink,” fits the place well, as patrons can enjoy a simple, American-style meal while conversing in a quiet environment.

“We want this restaurant to be a place where people can eat quality food without having to go to Dallas,” general manager Andy Gonzales said.

The price of a meal ranges from $8 – $13, with a small but varying menu to keep everyone in your party happy. Items range from salads and sandwiches to burgers and beyond, with vegetarian options as well.

Salads include the Greek salad for $7.50, and Cobb salad for $9.50. The burgers, which are large enough to be split between two people, include the Hickory burger for $8.50 and Mushroom burger, a vegetarian choice, also for $8.50.

Students considering J. Macklin’s as a potential Renaissance lunch location should consider going in small groups to avoid running into a time crunch.

While meals are on the expensive side for students and lunches, the atmosphere and well-cooked food makes J. Macklin’s a potential hit.

3