Coppell hockey looks to reserve a spot in playoffs

By Amanda Peck

The Coppell varsity hockey team not only started off their season well, but they have continued to keep an impressive record throughout the season.

The team has played, and defeated, their biggest rivals including Jesuit, Frisco, Plano Sr., and Southlake Carroll at least one time so far this season. As of last Thursday they hold a 10-4 record with the four losses being against Frisco, Southlake Carroll, Plano West and Plano Sr.; but they came back to defeat each of these teams when they played them for the second time.

“Though we have four losses, we redeemed ourselves and won when we played each of the teams we lost to again, senior Assistant Captain Brandon Harley said. “Even though losses are losses, it makes me feel better to know that we didn’t loose to any team twice.”

The next few games the Cowboys are scheduled to play are against teams that they have played at least once before, including Southlake Carroll and Plano West, so they will continue to practice and get prepared for those games.

The Cowboys season ends Mar. 4, but if they continue to play well and keep up their impressive record, they will advance to the playoffs.

“It is crucial for us to win our next few games, especially the ones against Southlake Carroll and Plano West since we have lost to them before, senior Captain Charlie Busch said. “We are hoping to not only make it into the playoffs, but to advance as far as possible in them. We have had an amazing season so far and we want to keep it up and go as far as we can.”

The Cowboys are scheduled to play Jesuit this Thursday, Jan. 14.

“Not only are the team and I very proud of our record and how well we have been playing, but we are pleased with the fact that we have defeated all of our biggest rivals at least once”, Busch said. “Jesuit is and always will be our biggest rival and it shows by how many fans come when we play them, but we beat them both times we have played them this year, which is also another thing we are proud of.”

Come watch and support the Cowboys play in their upcoming games as they try to reserve a spot for themselves in the playoffs.

1