New playlist to usher in new year

Colony House, a rock band on the rise, performs at The Prophet Bar, Dallas, TX on Oct. 11, 2014 to an intimate crowd, and is accompanied by bands TEAM and Knox Hamilton.

By Shruthika Pochampally

The following is a playlist of fresh music for 2015. Some are songs by new up-and-coming bands and some are new songs by already established artists. 2015 will be a year of great new artists, lots of unique duos and a genre stemming from a unique blend between electro-pop and indie bands.

1. “Honest” by Kodaline

Irish band Kodaline first became one of my all-time favorites over two years ago and I have only grown to love them more over the years, so I look forward to a second hit production by the band with Coming Up For Air.

2. “Texas” by Magic Man

I went to the Smallpools concert last fall and since then have been captivated by opening act lead singer Alex Caplow’s mesmerizing stage presence, distinguished further by the band’s female keyboardist, Justine Bowe.

3. “Wallow” by Coasts

“Wallow”’s lyrics are poetic and shocking in all of the best ways, and leave a lasting effect on the listener. The music at 3:33 will be sure to remain stuck in your head for a day or two.

4. “Figure it Out” by Royal Blood

Royal Blood is sure to rise to fame this year with its designation as a rock duo and its hit song “Figure it Out”. The pair has been making waves since this song has topped rock music charts internationally, despite it being only their second single.

5. “Lost on Me” by PEACE

This edgy band is known enough to have their own VEVO channel, but unknown enough to be an underground band you secretly hope never gets famous. PEACE represents one of the most popular genres today while continuing to be a fresh and unpredictable band.

6. “Roll With The Punches” by Colony House

Colony House is a great band because it is known for being on tour repeatedly throughout a year in intimate yet enjoyable concert venues. Almost all songs by this band are fun and catchy.

7. “Bridges” by Broods

Yet another duo, Broods has gained popularity recently for its eccentric and enticing sound, a midway point between electronic and indie pop.

8. “Lonely One” by Dresses

Dresses’ unique and spontaneous sound is prominent in “Lonely One” – catchy and great for when you’re in a happy mood.

9. “Reflections” by MisterWives

MisterWives is odd in the best kind of ways. Its sound at first listen is unusual, but it grows on you, until you find yourself playing them on repeat for hours on end.

10. “My Number” by Foals

Even after having toured with Cage the Elephant with North America, Foals is a band continuing to be a hidden gem (think Bastille-meets-Linkin-Park).

11. “10,000 Emerald Pools” by BØRNS

The title of this song is what first captivated me, and I soon realized that the song itself is just as captivating, as the artist expresses that he would dive to the bottom of “10,000 emerald pools” for the person he loves.

12. “Everything She Wants” by Saint Raymond

Saint Raymond lays his heart out for listeners to analyze. My favorite lyrics are the first few lines:

“Take back what you know is a hurricane; moves faster than anything we try to blame. Sleep tight this storm is a lullaby; in time it’ll pass us by.”
All of the songs and artists on this playlist are a great start to discovering more inspiring sounds that promise to makes waves this year. I hope this list will leave you plugging in your headphones and discovering more great songs in 2015.

1