BCS bowl recap

By Andy Tabor

As many college football fans noticed this holiday season, many bowl games were on display.  The games were all memorable and mostly close down to the final wire, as in most cases David did in fact beat Goliath overall this bowl season.  As for the BCS bowl games, these games have been sloppy and for the most part low scoring.

The first BCS bowl game that was played was the Rose bowl which placed underachiever Ohio State against up and coming Oregon.  The game was dominated by quarterback play with Terrelle Pryor eventually stealing the show from Oregon’s star man Jeremiah Masoli.  Pryor threw two touchdowns and passed for 266 yards, giving Ohio State a major edge and needed boost to win the game.  This win ended a deep BCS bowl drought that Ohio State had suffered over the past few seasons, and showed that the Big Ten and Ohio State were back on top.

The Sugar Bowl had Cincinnati vs. Tim Tebow err, Florida.  Make no mistake about it, Tim Tebow’s last game as a college was possibly his greatest as he accounted for 533 total yards in a huge Florida romp 51-24.  Cincinnati must have felt the loss of departed coach Brian Kelly (the new Notre Dame head coach) as the Cincinnati defense basically let Florida’s offense run and pass wild.  Overall a perfect send off for Tebow as he tests his skills in the NFL next year.

The Fiesta bowl had a rematch of last years Poinsettia Bowl, with TCU against Boise State.  Boise State has the most wins in the decade from college football with (111) and notched another win in the new decade with a 17-10 victory.  Boise State showed America that they are for real, TCU on the other hand may be looked at as a one hit wonder.  Andy Dalton, quarterback from TCU, will have to live with this loss as he squandered multiple opportunities with three interceptions.

The Orange Bowl had a much less entertaining game, with Georgia Tech’s run first option attack against Iowa, and there great defense.  The defense of Iowa was able to prepare well in advance for the option attack as they appeared to slow it down in the win.  In the win, quarterback Ricky Stanzi threw two touchdowns in his much anticipated return.  Georgia Tech should realize they had a great season and even in wake of their 24-14 loss.

The Rose Bowl, the grandaddy of them all had Texas pitted against Alabama. With Texas losing their star senior quarterback, heisman winning running back Mark Ingram ran wild basically pounding the Texas defense on the way to a big 37-21 victory over the Longhorns.

This season for the BCS has been an interesting one with no shortage of story lines.

Original Video – More videos at TinyPic