Trinity outmatched Coppell in every aspect

By Joseph Krum

staff writer

@joseph_krum

BEDFORD – Euless Trinity has been known for having huge players who make even bigger plays, and they definitely lived up to that hype against the Coppell Cowboys, defeating them 33-10.

Senior Connor Williams and sophomore Trey Becerra prepare to push through Trinity’s players at the varsity football game on Friday night. Photo by Aubrie Sisk

Trinity’s defense, coming in as the top-ranked defense in the area according to MaxPreps.com, proved just that tonight. Only allowing 58 rushing yards on 34 attempts and forcing 3 turnovers, the Trojan defense definitely stepped up to their full potential. But the failures in Coppell’s offense did help them as well.

“We had some pre-snap penalties, and we turned the ball over,” coach Mike DeWitt. “We fumbled multiple snaps in the redzone, and missed a field goal. You combine all of that with a really good football team it is difficult to contend.”

Although the running game did not prove effective, senior quarterback Skyler Bonneau proved his worth against the Trojans. Bonneau, 18 completions on 25 attempts for 223 yards, tried to keep his team in the game the best he could.

“I thought [Bonneau] did some good things, but we all just have to keep getting better,” DeWitt said.

Another big detriment for the Cowboys was the defense and how they stopped the run. Trinity running back Ja’Ron Wilson ran for 130 yards total  to lead the rushing attack to a total of 227 rushing yards. One thing the Cowboys did well on was force out of passing situations, but even when Trinity passed they were 2/2 for 70 yards and a touchdown.

Overall, the Cowboys are ready to move on from this loss and focus on next week’s game, senior night against Colleyville Heritage on Halloween.

“Whether you win or lose, you have to turn the page and work next week, so that is what we are going to do,” DeWitt said.

Junior Drew Smith runs to help fellow teammates senior Charles West and sophomore Trey Becerra push through Trinity’s defense at the District game on Friday night. Photo by Aubrie Sisk