Theatre Silent Auction performances wows crowd, delivers financial boost

Past President Mary Miller, Vice President Sheridan Miller and President Cole Cloutier hosted theater's silent auction dinner and review on Sept. 27 in the cafeteria. Photo by Nicole Messer.
Past President Mary Miller, Vice President Sheridan Miller and President Cole Cloutier hosted theater’s silent auction dinner and review on Sept. 27 in the cafeteria. Photo by Nicole Messer.

By Chris Sheldon

staff writer

@ChrisSheldon911

From the moment you arrived at the Coppell High School Theatre Silent Auction, the cafeteria was buzzing with energy and anticipation. Booster Club parents scrambled through the cafeteria making the last second adjustments to lights and tables.

The Silent Auction, the CHS Theatre department’s biggest fundraiser of the year, was held on Saturday on campus.

Most of money goes towards the program’s yearly musical. Funding the musical can cost upwards up $30,000 for the theatre department.

“The auction starts getting planned right about as soon as it ends [for the next year],” theatre director Lisa Tabor said.

Prep for the auction begins with collecting the donations for silent auction bidding around June. Some of these big item donations for the auction included a full paid trip to Santa Fe, N.M. with a three bedroom, three bath hotel, tickets to the Dallas Cowboys vs Houston Texans on Sunday with suite seats and a sideline pass to watch each team warm up.

Booster parents like Michele Malish and Noel Cloutier took off work for an entire week leading up to the event to make sure everything sailed smoothly. As people began to take their seats CHS theatre students Sheridan Miller and Cole Cloutier emceed the event.

After a quick comedy intro, dinner was served. On the menu for the night was a hearty serving of lasagna, bread sticks and side salad.

The entertainment began shortly after starting out with several performances from students singing songs from Adele, original pieces and even another comedy act. As the performers wrapped up the first half of the night, the live auction portion of the night took off and excitement went through the air. The trip to Santa Fe and Cowboys tickets alone raised of $3,000 for the theatre department.

The second part of the night presented a sneak peak of two songs from the Theatre Departments Musical “Thoroughly Modern Millie”. One of the pieces,“How the other Half Lives” was sung by musical lead senior Sheridan Miller along with seniors Jackie Malish.

The astounding performances throughout the night made the silent auction a must see event.

Along with raising a good portion of what the theatre department needed, even non-theatre student and parents were impressed with the event.