Getting to know Ms. Thomas

This year, Coppell High School students are experiencing an immense amount of change, both in the classroom and throughout the campus. Part of that change is new 11th grade assistant principal Jamila Thomas. The Sidekick’s Nicolas Henderson met with the new AP to discuss what she’s looking forward to this year at CHS as well as a little bit about herself.

Q: How long have you been in education?

A: I’ve been in education for 11 years and prior to working for Coppell I worked in Cedar Hill at the Early College High School.

One of the many new faces at Coppell High School this year, new 11th grade assistant principal Jamilia Thomas plans to takes her 11 years of experience in education to keep Coppell High School the ‘exemplary school’ that it is. Photo by Sloane Samberson.

Q: What are you looking forward to at CHS this year?

A: I’m looking forward to working with a school district that has a plethora of diverse student populations, and since I’ve only worked with one other school, I’m interested in seeing how the educational process in other school districts work.

Q: What do you think about the technology based learning environment at CHS?

A: Technology based learning is absolutely amazing and I’m glad that Coppell embraces it, because at the end of the day, this generation of students is very technology driven, so why not incorporate something they like to do in education, so that way when you put them together? It makes learning fun.

Q: When you were a student, what was your favorite subject at school?

A: English

Q:What are some of your favorite hobbies outside of school?

A: I like to spend time with my family, and I also love spending time with my sorority sisters.

Q: What kind of foods do you like?

A: My favorite food is Italian, but typically the food I can cook the best is soul food.

Q: What kind of music do you listen to?

A: I listen to everything, and my music determines my mood, so I could be listening to R&B, rap or country. I haven’t really found my niche for rock yet, but we’re working on that.

Q: If you weren’t an AP, what subject would you want to teach?

A: I would probably go back to English.

Q: What is your favorite sport?

A: Basketball

Q: What are your main goals this year at CHS?

A: My main goals are to ultimately assist in the continuation of the exemplary campus that it is known for. I also want to get to know the students, because CHS is huge, so getting to know the students will probably be my biggest goal, and I think one of my biggest obstacles. My third goal is to be a team player by getting to know the teachers and being able to collaborate with them to help students.l