The Winter Soldier outdoes Captain America: First Avenger

The+Winter+Soldier+outdoes+Captain+America%3A+First+Avenger++

By Sloane Samberson

capitan america
Captain America: The Winter Soldier hit theaters on April 4 and has high expectations, especially after the other Marvel movies that have been released this year. Photo by Nicole Messer.

With the release of The Avengers, Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World all within a two year radius, Marvel fans have big expectations for Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Winter Soldier does not short fans of seeing their beloved hero kick butt and save the world from mass terror.

The story begins in present day Washington D.C. as Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) runs laps around the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, he runs into Sam Wilson (Anthony Mackie), former paratrooper, setting the stage for their later alliance.

S.H.I.E.L.D has been working on the development of “helicarriers”, three large flying ships that can kill mass amounts of people at a time.

Nick Fury (Samuel Jackson) has doubts about the new development, for the power of being able to kill so many people at once could be easily misused. When S.H.I.E.L.D director, Alexander Pierce (Robert Redford) finds out about Fury’s doubt, he sends the Winter Soldier to kill him.

Rogers immediately steps in when discovering that Fury is under threat. He teams up with the Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) and Wilson (The Falcon) to stop the Winter Soldier and save S.H.I.E.L.D from making a terrible mistake.

Special effects and the realism of fighting did not disappoint. The Winter Soldier makes you feel as if you are a special agent working for S.H.I.E.L.D, split between the decision of supporting Captain America/Fury or the Winter Soldier/Pierce.

The “sitting on the edge of your seat” storyline combined with flair of new characters makes for an awesome sequel to the pre Avengers franchise.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier, runs 136 minutes and is rated PG-13 for intense violence and gun usage.