Caps come off: Swimming and Diving salutes seniors at final home meet

Eight+swimming+and+diving+seniors+were+recognized+on+Jan.+9.+at+their+last+home+meet+before+Districts%2C+Regionals+and+State+Photo+by+Francesca+Graham.+
Eight swimming and diving seniors were recognized on Jan. 9. at their last home meet before Districts, Regionals and State Photo by Francesca Graham.

By Jena Seidemann
Student Life Editor

Spectators could feel the warmth in the natatorium – and no not the humidity. While there were no opponents to compete against, Senior Night for the Coppell Swimming and Diving Team honored the hard work and dedication each senior swimmer put in during their tenure at Coppell High School.

“They helped raise the bar for the whole team and the expectations,” Coppell Swim and Dive coach Patrick Henry said. “When they were freshmen, the expectation was not were it was today.”

For some of the seniors, Henry has been with them for the past four years perfecting their stoke and developing them into a better swimmer.

“You have so many athletes that swim with you each year,” Henry said. “You spend a couple of hours everyday with them, challenging them and watching them grow. You hate to see them go, but it’s the process; that is what I do.”

The eight seniors participated in their final home meet before districts, regionals and state. There were 16 swim events and one diving event during the meet.  Freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors all competed against each other.

Amongst those seniors is Joanne Chu. Having already set a new record for the 4X 100 relay, Chu plans to finish off her senior year strong. Her next goal: to break the 50 freestyle record that was set back in 2005. Only 0.27 seconds away from her goal, she continues her training regimen with an emphasis on weight training and cardio.

Chu and fellow senior Luke Meyer each won three of their respective races and events. Underclassmen also competed well with many pulling ahead of the crowd.

Halfway through the meet, each senior was recognized by Henry, and after everyone’s name was called, they stood together on a diving board, side by side one last time.

The next year is expected to be a strong one with a core of talented and seasoned juniors. Many have already experienced success and record breaking.

Junior Shannon Wheeler was part of the 4X100 relay with Chu. During the meet, she finished atop of several races. As an upcoming senior, she has learned leadership from the core of seniors and shares a close bond with them.

“The class of 2014 made swimming my home away from home,” Wheeler said.  “They are like my parents in a good way. They keep us in line. They are the glue.”

Though the regular season has come to a close, there are still many goals and standards to reach before the group graduates.

“We hope to break the medley 4 X 50 at districts and regionals,” Wheeler said. “We actually have a shot at state.”

The entire program has felt the impact of this senior group, and as they bid their farewells, each senior wished well to the future.

“I hope I brought us close.,” senior captain Mason David said. “I want [the underclassmen] to remember the good times and try to emulate them for the future classes.”