Eagles soar high, snatch game from Cowboys in final minute

Photo by Regan Sullivan.

By Mark Slette

With 41 seconds left on the scoreboard, DeSoto senior quarterback Desmon White launched a 31-yard pass and connected with junior wide receiver Kevin Thomas in the endzone for six Eagle points. The score capped off a wild comeback for the Eagles, who came from nine points down early to defeat the Coppell Cowboys in the area round of the state playoffs, 34-30.

Coppell came out ready to take on the Eagles. Starting the first quarter, senior Gavin McDaniel received the opening kickoff and returned it for 30 yards, placing the Cowboys on their own 46 yard line. A 31-yard gain by junior Charles

Photo by Regan Sullivan.
Photo by Regan Sullivan.

West set up a 35-yard field goal for senior Adam Centers and an early 3-0 lead for Coppell.

Coppell’s defensive line, led by senior Solomon Thomas, brought the pressure early and forced White to throw an interception to senior Chris Adkins.

In the first quarter, the story was the Coppell defense playing tough and keeping the Eagle offense on the sideline.

After the turnover with about seven minutes left in the first quarter, Coppell junior quarterback Skyler Bonneau threw a 34-yard pass completed to West for a touchdown. The extra point was blocked which put Coppell on top with a 9-0 lead.

The tables turned in the second quarter for Coppell, as Desoto was able place 20 points in the second quarter. In the first minute of the second quarter, Desoto attacked quickly and was able to fly down the field to scoring their first points of the game, coming on an eight-yard rush by White.Taking a risk, Desoto went for a two point conversion, but was unsuccessful. Desoto 6, Coppell 9.

About two minutes after the Desoto scored, Coppell responded with West rushing in for an 11-yard touchdown, to go up by 10 points, 16-6.

Immediately after Coppell’s touchdown, Eagles freshman receiver Kadarrian Nixon returned took the ensuing kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown. Nixon went completely untouched, running through the Coppell special team’s defense like he was cutting butter. Yet again, Desoto could not score the point-after attempt, and Coppell clung to a slim 16-12 lead.

Still down four with about three minutes to go, White threw a 12-yard pass to senior Jamal Johnson for a touchdown to take their first lead of the game.The Eagles then converted their first point-after attempt of the game on a pass from White to Thomas. Both teams headed into the locker room to end the half with DeSoto now up 20-16.

The start of the third quarter was very quiet with no scoring until the last three minutes of quarter. Coppell’s defense was the reason behind this, as the DeSoto offense was only able to ran five plays in the third quarter. The Eagles turned over the ball on downs in the first drive of the quarter and were not able to get the ball back.The Coppell defense did what they had to keep White and his offense off the field.

Coppell’s clock eating offense, directed by Bonneau, drove the team down in 14 plays. The long drive set up his running touchdown as he completed a 33 yard pass to Josh Fink and was down at the one yard line.  Bonneau kept the ball and stuffed himself into the endzone with a 1 yard rushing touchdown.With 2:42 left in the 3rd quarter, Coppell regained the lead 23-20.

Coppell then recovered an onside kick. Centers kicked the pigskin 11 yards and senior defensive back Troy Parker recovered the ball on the Desoto 44. This call surprised everyone in the stadium. No one was expecting it, not even DeSoto, bringing a twist to the end of the third quarter.

Onto the fourth quarter, rushing attempts by McDaniel, Rice and West set up another scoring opportunity for Coppell. Junior fullback Parker Wilson ran for 13 yards into the endzone. The score Coppell 30, DeSoto 20.

The Cowboys desperately tried to hold DeSoto’s offense, but were unsuccessful and the team gave up the ten point lead.

With eight minutes left in the game, the Eagles rose to the occasion and stole the game away from the Cowboys. White fired a 51-yard pass to Johnson for his second touchdown of the evening. For the third time in the game, DeSoto’s point after touchdown failed. DeSoto 26, Coppell 30.

With no answers on the Coppell offense, the Cowboys had a turnover on downs, giving the ball over to the Eagles on the Coppell 49 yard line with 4:20 left in the game.

White, who played the hero for the Eagles, fired a 31-yard pass to Thomas for the game-winning score. Thomas was able to gain possession while ensuring his left foot would be in bounds. The final score was DeSoto 34, Coppell 30.

It was a tough ending to the season for Coppell. The players and coaches were was emotionally disappointed. No one wanted to comment after the difficult loss.

After almost pulling off an upset against the No. 1 ranked team in Texas, Coppell should hold its head up high. The team played with relentless effort, passion, and class. Above all, however, Cowboy fight never wavers and will never die.