Championship push begins for Cowboys against neighboring Irving

By Stephanie Alexander

Entertainment Editor

Holding the Lewisville Fighting Farmers to under 150 yards and forcing three turnovers in last Friday night’s 49-6 win, cemented this game as the most dominating performances of the year by the Coppell defense.

“We had to show we were a dominate team,” junior cornerback Jacob Murray said. “We watched a lot of film, mainly studying all of their routes.”

After starting out forcing a three and out on Lewisville, the next possession resulted in an interception by senior cornerback Troy Parker. This was just a preview of more things to come from the defense.

Everywhere Lewisville senior quarterback Matt McDougal threw the ball, a Cowboy was there waiting to make a play. Murray forced a couple of third down pass break-ups that set up scoring plays for the offense.

Senior Killian Bresnahan blocked and recovered a punt on special teams and the Cowboys forced three fumbles, recovering one.

The defense stuffed almost every run attempt, save a 41-yard and 30-yard attempts, and held them to only two yards per carry.

Whether it was the run or the pass, Coppell prevented Lewisville from keeping the game interesting and holding them to only one score.

“They give us 10 games, and we just wanted to finish it right,” Coppell coach Joe McBride said.

The Cowboys are anticipating their first playoff game of the season against Irving High School this Friday at the Irving Schools Stadium at 7:30 p.m. by watching more film and practicing hard.