Cowboys pack All-District roster, sweep both MVPs

Story by Peter Sblendorio

The All-District 6-5A teams were released on Nov. 30 to honor the best players in District 6-5A for the 2009 season. Twenty-four Cowboys were placed on the all-district first team and second team after Coppell finished 11-1, including a 5-1 record in 6-5A.

Coppell senior quarterback Hayden Hawk earned the Offensive Most Valuable Player award after leading one of the top offensive teams in District 6-5A. Hawk completed 265 of his 390 pass attempts for 3,408 yards and threw 29 touchdown passes over the course of the season. He was also explosive with legs, rushing for 391 yards and six touchdowns.

“It’s a great honor,” Hawk said. “There are a lot of other players in our district that are going to good colleges, so its cool for me to win [offensive MVP].”

Coppell Senior safety, Nic Johnston was named the defensive Most Valuable Player in the district. Johnston anchored a potent Coppell defense that posted three shutout wins during the season and another in round two of the state playoffs. He made six interceptions on the year and led the Coppell secondary with 95 tackles.

“There are a lot of different players in the district that I feel deserved the award including some of the other players on our defense so it is a really big deal to win the award,” Johnston said.

In addition to the MVPs on both sides of the ball, Coppell sophomore cornerback David Busby was named the District 6-5A Newcomer of the Year. Busby posted 58 tackles and two interceptions in an impressive first season playing varsity football.

Coppell’s strong offense was well represented on the All-District first team. Junior running back Cam McDaniel, who scored 22 touchdowns on the ground and caught seven more, made first team all-offense after leading the Cowboys in scoring.

“It’s a great tribute to a bunch of kids that played really well,” McBride said. “I was proud of their effort in practice and in the games. They are very deserving of [these awards].”

Two wide receivers, senior Jeff Johnson and junior Tyler Landis also earned spots on the all-district first team lineup, as did sophomore offensive lineman Sam Rice. Three more offensive linemen, sophomore Jake Williams, senior Tyler Rohde and junior Nate Hruby, made the second team all-district lineup.

The stout Cowboy defense was also greatly honored, as every starter made either the first or second all-district team. Senior linebacker Teddy Johnson, who led Coppell with 128 tackles, earned a spot on the first team, as did fellow linebackers senior Josh Montgomery, senior Patrick Hogan, and junior Brandon Mullins. Three defensive lineman, senior end Jared Parham, senior tackle Naveed Amirhekmat and junior end Tanner Rice made the first team all-district defense as well.

Senior safety Jake Wohlford, who tallied a team-high seven interceptions, made the first team defense, as did junior cornerback Bennet Okotcha. Senior cornerback Ben McCoy made the second team defense.

“Our whole defense did amazing,” Busby said. “We came together as a family and pushed each other all year. We were all deserving of our awards.”

Sophomore kicker Nick Jordan was the only special teams player honored, as he made second team all-district in his first season playing varsity.

The significant number of players honored with All-District awards exemplifies the Cowboy’s remarkable season. Coppell had more than a few regular contributors in 2009, and head football coach Joe McBride was glad to see his players get recognized

2