Changing one food for another promotes healthy lifestyle

Graphic by Rachel Buigas-Lopez
Graphic by Rachel Buigas-Lopez
Graphic by Rachel Buigas-Lopez

By Gabby Sahm

It seems students are starting to care less about what they eat. They are more concerned with their grades and who is going out with who, rather than what they are actually putting in their bodies. However, there is one person who does not stick to the typical diet, and is making the most out of it.

Denton resident Tammy Shaw is a full fledged pescetarian and has been for 17 years. A pescetarian is someone who only eats fish and no other meat. She was not always a pescetarian, but she changed because she started having health issues from eating certain kinds of meat.

“I thought I wanted a bite of steak my daughter ordered at a restaurant once, but once I took that bite I knew that it wasn’t for me,” Shaw said.

Shaw is not only a pescetarian, she has also been on a gluten free diet for three years. Her daughter, Baylee Walker, discovered that she had celiac disease, a disease that damages the lining of the small intestine and prevents it from absorbing parts of food that are important for staying healthy. Nine times out of 10 the disease comes from the mother. The only medically accepted treatment for the disease is to live on a gluten free diet. Now they both live on a gluten free diet.

Gluten is a protein complex found in wheat, barley and rye. Since they can not eat gluten, they can not eat any bread or crackers. People that are on a gluten free diet often stick to more starchy foods like corn, potatoes and rice.

Even though Shaw was forced onto this diet for health reasons, she thinks students everywhere can be on the same diet, even if they do not have a gluten allergy. Coppell High School physics teacher John Robinson is always encouraging students to eat healthier. He is a wrestling coach and physics teacher who follows a seven word motto, and any food that does not fit within it, is not acceptable in his book. The seven word motto is “eat food, not too much, mostly plants.”

“Most things that are on the grocery store shelf are things that scientists made in a test tube,” Robinson said. “They just put it in a colorful package, so people eat it, without even reading the ingredients.”

There are some many other healthier food options for students, besides the typical pizza and soda. Instead of having a fattening hamburger with fries on the side, healthier options include a veggie burger, with a side salad or some fruit. Also instead of getting all those extra toppings of meat on your pizza, healthier side options are vegetables. It can be just as filling with half the calories.

If you are on a gluten free diet there are some alternatives that will let eat what you used to, but you will not have to worry about getting sick from the gluten. These days companies are starting to make more and more things with less gluten in them. You can now have gluten free chips, cereals and even bread.

Sprouts sells all things organic. It is a large supermarket dedicated to all natural produce. It has deals on healthy, organic products like fresh produce daily, and ready to eat meals for those days when you are in a hurry, but still need that healthy fix. In addition to diet, Shaw includes exercise in her healthy lifestyle.

“I do pilates every week,” Shaw said. “I also like to walk my dogs every chance I get.”

There are multiple opportunities for students to get active. Schools have athletic programs where students can play football, baseball, soccer, basketball and even hockey. If you are not into sports then you can always take walks, run or swim. So weather it is changing your entire diet, just swapping one item a day for something healthier, or even just taking a walk, it will prove to pay off down the road.

“I think anytime a student has a chance to eat healthier, they should take it,” Shaw said. “It will always be a better choice in the long run.”