• On Tuesday, Coppell Arts Center hosts State of Education organized by the Coppell Chamber of Commerce from 8:30-10 a.m.
  • On Wednesday, Coppell Arts Center hosts May Paint & Sip: Hummingbird at 6 p.m.
  • On Saturday, Town Center Plaza hosts Celebrate Cozby Library from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.

“Lost” disappears; “Day One”, “Mercy” coming to TV

Quinn as Locke, Jorge Garcia as Hurley, Evangeline Lilly as Kate, Maggie Grace as Shannon, Harold Perrineau as Michael, Emilie de Ravin as Claire, Michelle Rodriguez as Ana Lucia, Dominic Monaghan as Charlie, Daniel Dae Kim as Jin, Josh Holloway as Sawyer, Yunjin Kim as Sun and Naveen Andrews as Sayid. (Handout/ABC/KRT)

By Mary Whitfill

With the 2009 TV season rapping up, many of the long running shows are being canceled due to low ratings and overspending, while many shows will return for the upcoming seasons. Among the shows being canceled is the extremely popular TV series, “Lost”, whose final season begins February.

In 2004, “Lost” premiered with a plane crash, stranding a group of strangers on an island and forcing them to fight together for survival. Out of the 324 people on board, there were 71 survivors and 14 of the characters were given regular speaking roles, one of the largest casts currently airing on TV  behind only “Desperate Housewives”.

The final season will be the sixth for the show. This season is expected to contain 18 episodes and will have a highly anticipated ending that will send the extremely popular show out with a bang.

“I love watching “Lost”, I’m really interested to see how they explain everything,” sophomore Sarah Hall said.

Director Jeffery ‘J.J.’ Abrams recently continued on from “Lost” to produce box office hits such as the new Star Trek which was released on DVD in November, and the Mission: Impossible IV, which is to be released in 2011. Abrams has won multiple awards for his work on “Lost” such as two ASCAP Film and Television Music Awards, an Emmy, a Writers Guild of America award, a USA award and a PGA award. He was also nominated for four additional Emmy awards in 2002, 2005, 2008 and 2009.

“It’s about time they wrapped it up,” Coppell resident Estil Vance said. “Abrams needs to create something new.”

With “Lost” being the only main stream show to be canceled after this season, many popular shows have been given to go ahead to return to the air in 2010.

Three of last year’s most popular shows are returning to the network for the remainder of this and next season,: “Gossip Girl”, “Heros” and “The Office”.  All Three of the shows will continue until their season finales in May.

“Sometimes ‘The Office’ is funny, and sometimes it’s painful,” English teacher Clara Caussey said. “There was a Christmas episode where one of the main characters gave away a gift he received for Secret Santa and it was painful for me to watch.”

Also continuing through the 2010 season are popular shows “American Idol”, “Ugly Betty”, “House”, “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Chuck”.

Making their debut and airing until the end of the 2010 season are the new dramas “Day One” and “Mercy”.    

“Day One”, written by Jesse Alexander (“Heroes”, “Lost”) tells the story of life on Earth after a global catastrophe. Directly after the event, a group of eclectic strangers must work to rebuild society as they unravel the mystery of what happened and try to determine their unknown futures.   The group begins a quest for survival learning that hope can be found in even the smallest of accomplishments.

“Mercy”, appearing on NBC, tells the stories of Mercy Hospital from a view point that is seldom acknowledged – the hospital’s nurses. Nurse Veronica Callahan returns from a stint in Iraq and knows more about medicine then all of the other nurses combined. With her nursing friends, Callahan tells stories of life and love both inside the hospital and outside in her own world.

Regardless of this season’s losses and gains in TV shows, there are sure to be millions of people who tune into the CW, ABC, FOX, NBC and others to watch their favorite shows unfold before their eyes.