Thanksgiving break ends, countdown to winter break begins

Students of Coppell High School returned to class yesterday after the extended break. Even after what was for many a relaxing week, the social networking website Facebook was littered with countdowns.

They read, ‘Only fourteen days left’ and ’98 more periods before break!’ along with many other numbers. I posted a similar one as my own status. Then I began thinking: does this breakdown of time help students, or hurt them in the long run?

For some, it is helpful to keep their eyes on the prize, give themselves a goal to shoot for. It can make the time seem more manageable, less frightening, especially since the three weeks between fall and winter break can be filled with some of the most difficult schoolwork faced by students all year.

For others, the time could seem too much for them. 98 periods sounds like a lot, especially when you consider that some of them are filled with advanced classes for many students. Some people could get too attached to the numbers and forget that they still have to actually in class, not just go through the motions.

So I encourage students to think a different way. Occasionally, when you are stressed, remind yourself that there isn’t much time left before the long relaxing break. But do yourself a favor and don’t linger too long on the numbers. Obsessing over the time could distract you from what is happening in the ‘here and now’ and you wouldn’t want your grades to drop because you checked out of school three weeks early.

But if it does help you to think of the time before the holidays and gives you something to look forward to, visit http://www.satisfaction.com/christmas-countdown-generator/

2