The Public Library shows ’80s films

Library showing 80s moviesStory by Melissa Brisco
Graphic by Yogesh Patel

This fall, the library is not only the place to go for books and studying, but also a place to view movies. Alternating Saturdays, from October to December, the William T. Cozby Public Library is showing classic ‘80s movies.

“We are doing this program for young adults,” library technician Jennifer Perryman said. “We [the librarians] wanted to do this to show young adults some of the movies that we loved when we were younger.”

The library decided to implement this new program at the beginning of the year. Last year, the library tried a similar program where they showed an old black and white movie each month. The program was unsuccessful and discontinued after just a few months. The showing of ‘80s movies has already proved to be more successful. However, there was one week in which no individuals were in attendance, but some weeks there are up to 20 people.

“We [the librarians] decided that current teens didn’t know about the classic movies that we watched,” library technician Lilia Gans said. “We did this program so that adults can relive their favorite movies and so that the younger generation can be introduced to these movies.”

The first show date was Oct. 10, when the library aired the iconic film, The Breakfast Club. The Breakfast Club, filmed in 1985, centters around five different stereotypical students who get to know each other for the first time during a Saturday detention. The group inevitably bonds, causes trouble and creates fun.

The next movie was The Goonies on Oct. 24. The Goonies was also released in 1985 and follows a group of pre teen boys who find a historic treasure map and venture through caves and lighthouses in search of treasure. The boys’ families are being evicted, and in order to save their homes, the boys must raise enough money to make their house payments.

On Nov. 16, the library showed Sixteen Candles. Produced in 1984, many of the actors in Sixteen Candles also starred in The Breakfast Club as well as both films were directed by John Hughes. Sixteen Candles revolves around a girl whose family has forgotten her 16th birthday. The movie is extremely funny and still relevant over 20 years later.

Nov. 21, the library aired Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. The film was released in 1986 and was another film directed by John Hughes. The movie follows Ferris, his best friend Cameron and his girlfriend Sloane as they skip school for a day, and immensely enjoy themselves. Meanwhile, the student body believes Ferris is dying while the principal and Ferris’ sister believe him to be faking and spend the day trying to catch him. This movie can be appreciated and enjoyed by all ages.

Pretty in Pink will be shown shown on Dec. 6. Pretty in Pink was directed by Howard Duetch in 1986. The movie is about a girl who is not the most popular. She has two best friends, one of which is a boy who is in love with her. When she meets and begins dating a rich, popular boy the two cliques collide.

On Dec. 19, the library will show Gremlins was released in 1984 and was directed by Joe Dante. In Gremlins, a boy receives a creature called a Mogwai from his father. There are three rules for owning a Mogwai: they cannot be in water, they cannot eat food after midnight and they cannot be in bright light. If any of these rules are broken, the Mogwai multiplies and evolves. As it evolves and multiplies, the cute, friendly Mogwai transforms into multiple nasty and rude Gremlins.

The idea of the library hosting movie days was received with mixed criticism.

“I think that it is a good thing that the library offers things like this for people who are interested,” sophomore Joseph Murray said. “I would most likely attend a movie day that the library hosted.”

Others had different opinions about the library hosting the movie days.

“It’s a pretty cool idea,” junior Andrew Jeter said. “I wouldn’t go though, because I have better things to do on a Saturday and I can watch movies at my house.”