1D goes 3D Spurlock style

By Stephanie Alexander
Entertainment Editor

Girls all over the world swoon for the same five guys. Niall Horan, Zayn Malik, Louis Tomlinson, Harry Styles and Liam Payne have not only the world in their hands, but all of our hearts as well.

Junior Christianna Haas poses with One Direction cutouts at Grapevine Mills Mall at the Thursday night premiere. Photo by Stephanie Alexander
Junior Christianna Haas poses with One Direction cutouts at Grapevine Mills Mall at the Thursday night premiere. Photo by Stephanie AlexanderOne Dir

The British-Irish boy band One Direction joined the list of pop acts to have a 3D concert documentary about them, this one being titled “This Is Us”. What sets it apart from the others? “This Is Us” is a behind the scenes look at life with One Direction. The movie touches on part of each boy’s personal life and you see how different they really are from each other. They each come from a different background and have their own stories. To see the making of all these working parts make such an international phenomenon is quite the inspiration. They really compliment each other vocally and visually, thanks Simon Cowell.

You get a taste of the past, looking back at the beginning of the boys’ time to together on “The X-factor”. Not even winning the competition, One Direction managed to achieve a mutual dream and became one of the hottest boy bands internationally.

There were scenes with the parents of One Direction which were moving. Tomlinson’s mom noted that since his “The X Factor” audition back in 2010, he has been home a total of five times. Styles’ stepfather said “He was headed to audition one day, and then he never came back.”

Directed by Morgan Spurlock, mostly famous for “Super Size Me”, “This is Us” takes you on tour and behind the scenes. You go all over the world with these boys and you do not want it to end. Even if you are not a fan for that matter, you want more from the documentary. Even my mom was like, “What? It’s already over?”

Being a fan, I did not see or hear anything new. The only thing I learned was that Louis used to work at Toys “R” Us. It is nice to touch on the beginning days of “The X Factor”, but give the audience something they do not know, show us something we have not seen. With over 500 hours of footage, they ended up with this. I just hope they hook us up with a bonus scenes disk when they come out with the DVD.