Coppell looks to take down panthers in round two

Nathan Reck
Assistant Sports Editor

After pulling out a 20 point victory in the opening round of the playoffs against Keller Coppell now faces the Plano East Panthers in a second round matchup that starts at 11 am Saturday morning at the Dallas Cowboy’s Stadium.

In the opening round Plano East escaped with a win thanks to a 16 point fourth quarter that sent the game into overtime where a guttsy call to go for two gave the Panthers a one point victory over Irving MacArthur. The game featured two strong running games as both teams had at least 40 rushing attempts and over 200 yards on the ground.

The Cowboys also featured a strong rushing attack in the opening round as Cam McDaniel rushed for 143 yards and four touchdowns on only 19 carries. Two of his touchdowns came in the final quarter as Coppell put up 16 fourth quarter points to push the lead to 20.

This weeks game should also feature the strong rushing attacks of both teams, but Coppell will look to maintain a potent passing game that has helped to keep the offense rolling through offensive line struggles early in the year. The cowboy defense should be up to the task as they have held multiple teams to negative rushing yards already this season. The key to the game, though, should be Cam McDaniel and the offensive line for Coppell. If the Cowboys can find a way to get the running game going then they should be able to control the pace of the game and give their defense a rest.

To see how the game actually plays out come to Dallas Cowboy’s Stadium at 11 am Saturday morning and help to root on the Cowboys.

1