Shoot out decides game, sends Cowboys to regional tournament

Sammy Robben
Sports Editor

Following a close win last Thursday against Waco Midway, the Cowboys were forced to take on the Hebron Hawks in their closest game yet.

Up until this playoff match up, the Coppell Cowboys had beat Hebron twice, but for the last two years in a row it was Hebron that knocked the Cowboys out of their playoff run. This year it was the other way around.

The Cowboys were the first to score a goal nearly halfway through the first half with a penalty kick by senior captain Drake Lovelady. This 1-0 lead held up through the first half.

In the second half the Hawks came out scoring an off sides that was called back just to follow it with a regulation goal.The score remained tied 1-1 through the rest of the game.

From here, the game continued into two ten-minute overtimes as nerves on both sides ran high.

The Cowboys had the remainder of the attempts at goal but struggled to put points on the board after the 20 minutes was up neither team had scored a goal, putting the game into a shootout.

Junior Chris Madden was first to score for the Cowboys and was followed by shots by senior captain Nick Hazelrigg and senior Mitchell Parnell.

Senior goalie Dante DiCiolli stopped three of the four penalty kicks sent his way, one going in after being deflected off his hand.

This win sent the Cowboys into the regional tournament Friday night and Saturday morning in Midland, TX.

Their first game will be played at 6:00 on Friday against Keller Central.

If they win, they will continue to the regional finals at 2:00 on Saturday.