Soccer Notebook: Season ends on bitter-sweet note

Allison Arnold

Sports Writer  Soccer_Notebook

On Friday, April 5, the Coppell Cowgirls soccer tam ended their season on a disappointing note that none of the players, fans or coaches expected. Against Mansfield, the Cowgirls lost with a score of 4-2 after going into double overtime and eventually a shoot out.

From the very beginning of the season, the Cowgirls expected nothing less of themselves than claiming a state championship. After a year that all of the players agreed was both physically and emotionally demanding, a loss in the second round of playoffs was devastating.

“The loss was devastating,” said sophomore forward Sarah King. “To work so hard all year and then a lose in playoffs just because of a few off shots is what I think is the hardest for all of us to deal with.”

The loss was also a disappointment for the coaches as well as the players after putting in a lot of time and effort towards the state goal and doing their best to prepare them players for playoffs.

“[Coach Stricker] was shocked and obviously upset that we lost, but he told us that we had a good season and that he was proud of us for coming as far and working as hard as we did,” said sophomore forward Tara Vishnesky.

Even though the season did not end as everyone had hoped, the players took away a lot from the season and have no regrets.

“I’ve grown closer to all of these girls more than I’d ever thought possible,” senior goal-keeper McKenna Arras said. “They’ve become some of my best friends and some of my best memories from this year have been spent with this team.”

Soccer career just beginning for two seniors

After ending the season, two seniors will continue their soccer career in college. Senior Paige Jacobs committed to play at the University of Oklahoma as a midfielder and senior Kayla Peterson will be a defender at the University of Arkansas.

Off-season just around corner

From here, the returning Cowgirls will get a few days off from working out and practicing to sleep in. However, they will be back on the field practicing and drilling again as soon as possible.