Playoffs end for Cowgirls after second round

Junior defender Evan Ross advances the ball up the field in the Cowgirls’s final home game against Lewisville. The Cowgirls have since advanced to the Area Round of the 2013 UIL State playoffs. Photo by Rowan Kazendar.

Tonight, the Coppell Cowgirls played Mansfield at Mansfield Stadium at 7 p.m. Showing up ready to play, the Cowgirls were  determined to finish this game with a win and advance to the third round.

The game starts off fast paced and continues that way all the way through. Both teams remained tough on defense, making it difficult for either team to score. The first half ended with a score of 0-0.

The second half remained the same. With both teams playing aggressively, no change was made in the score of the game. After a few close shots from the Cowgirls, they still weren’t able to score leaving the score at 0-0 the end of the second half.

Overtime began the same as the other two halfs, both teams refusing to let a ball get passed. After ten minutes of aggressive play, the score remained  the same at the end of overtime.

The game went on for  much longer when the players went into double overtime for another ten minutes. The players seemed tired, but still determined to come out with a win. At the end of double overtime, the score remained 0-0.

The crowd grew anxious when it was time for penalty kicks. The first up to shoot against Coppell’s senior goalie, Mckenna Arras, was a girl from the other team. With ease, Arras saved the ball, meaning the score still remained and it was Coppell’s turn to kick.

First up was senior Paige Jacobs who shot and missed the goal, frustrating the Cowgirls, while they still sat at a score of 0-0.

Next was the opponent, who shot and made the goal against Arras, making the score 1-0 with Mansfield in the lead.

The Cowgirls were next. Sarah King stepped up to  the line, shot and scored. The fans went wild as the score changed back to a tie of 1-1.

The opponent was up next. After making an impressive goal against Arras, the score was raised 2-1.

Next for the Cowgirls was junior midfielder, Reagan Meyer who also made an impressive goal, leaving  the Cowgirls neck and neck with Mansfield having a score of 2-2.

The opponent stepped up next where they scored yet another goal against Arras, making the score 3-2.

Up next for the Cowgirls was senior Kayla Peterson, who missed her goal against the opponent, making the score remain at 3-2.

The next shot was for all the marbles. If Mansfield made the goal, the Cowgirls would lose and the other team would advance to the third round. After much suspense and anticipation, the opponent kicked the ball landing it in the net passed Arras.

Masfield supporters rushed the field as the Cowgirls suffered the disappointing loss.

“It was rough,” sophomore forward Tara Vishnesky said. “There’s always next year.”