Track Notebook: Hough gets back up after multiple injuries

Track+Notebook%3A+Hough+gets+back+up+after+multiple+injuries+

Stephanie Gross

Sports Writer

It seems that athletes are constantly falling down hurt and getting back up as soon as possible to resume their training.

Sometimes, runners can be injured and not even know it, continuing to perform and compete. For sophomore track runner Abbie Hough, she knows this process all too well.

Hough, who ran the mile last year, switched over into competing in the 400-meter and 800-meter relays. Hough was having a good season last year until she was injured and missed part of the season.

“I went out running one night when I accidentally tripped and fell,” Hough said. “I ended up tearing a ligament in my arm and was in a sling for a little while.”

Hough, who wants nothing more than to compete in her events, pushed through the pain and worked even harder than before to get back up on her feet and compete in meets again.

With a new year came a new season, but for Hough, a new season also meant new injuries.

“Since the beginning of the year, I noticed that my leg would hurt when I ran,” Hough said. “I went to trainers and a doctor and they told me that I had shin splints.”

Without resting, Hough pushed through the pain by taking Advil and doing a weekly ice bath treatment.

“I just pushed through and never really stopped running, I wasn’t going to let the shin splints keep me from my goals,” Hough said.

When Hough is not working out on the track, lifting weights is another way that she feels gets her into shape, especially if her leg is hurting and it is difficult to run.

“Even when I am hurt, I never really stop running,” Hough said. “It’s just something that I really love doing.”