Baseball Notebook: Elliott called up to varsity

By Alex Nicoll

Sports Writer

For an athlete it is always is an honor to make varsity. Making it as a sophomore is just icing on the cake. For sophomore Jensen Elliott, being called up was a pure surprise.

To him the move is not permanent, but for right now there is no denying the fact that he is a member of the varsity baseball team.

“Well to be honest, I’m not sure I’m on varsity,” Elliott said. “I was just shocked and felt it was a spark from God.”

Elliott, who has been in the program for two years now was put on the JV team at the beginning of the season, was moved up before the Baylor tournament this past weekend.

Before he competed though he had to partake in varsity practices and that is no small feat. Varsity practices in any sport are usually the most grueling and difficult at the high school.

“The varsity practices and games are so much more fast paced and aggressive,” Elliott said. “After playing in a varsity game, the JV games look like they’re in slow motion.”

Elliott holds his own with his teammates during the games and practices.  This helped him raise his stock among the upperclassmen. The uneasiness that Elliott felt the pressure of performing on varsity since he is so young, was quelled quickly by his upperclassmen.

“[My teammates] just supported me and made me feel comfortable,” Elliott said.

Having senior pitcher Jake Elliott as a brother and teammate is also a great way to get accustomed to a new team. Jake, an Oklahoma signee, is poised to lead the varsity team this year as a number one starter in the rotation behind his powerful arm.

“It’s one of the coolest things that I’ve ever had happen to me,” Jensen said. “Walking into the dugout after pitching having my brother congratulate me is amazing.”

Elliott hopes to stay on varsity and continue making an impact on the team, after seeing some action in the first few games as a pitcher, his position.

The team so far this year went 4-1 in the Baylor Tournament and shape up to be one of the strongest teams this year as they return seniors like Elliott ,Tyler Jones, Tyler Zabojnik and Austin Gardner.

Corpus Christi Tournament

Tomorrow, the Coppell Cowboys baseball will play Moody in Corpus Christi at Cabaniss Field at 7 p.m. to kick off the three-day tournament.

After Moody, the Cowboys play a double-header against McAllen at 1 p.m. and then Del Rio 7 p.m.

Moody is the returning District 31-4A co-champion and will be great competition for the Cowboys to overcome.

Saturday has yet to be determined as it will be announced who the varsity plays after the pool play has been finished.

Gardner, Hanson hold hitters scoreless in Baylor tournament

Senior Austin Gardner and junior Drew Hanson tossed back-to-back scoreless ballgames in the Baylor Tournament this past weekend.

Gardner helped the Cowboys shut out the Colleyville Heritage Panthers, 5-0. Hanson shocked the Chargers in a 6-0 win.