Wrestling Notebook: And the state qualifiers are…

After a long and impressive season, all of the Coppell wrestlers’ hard work is finally about to pay off.

The Cowboys are sending a total of nine athletes to the state meet with two being from the boys squad and a whopping seven from the girls wrestling team.

Senior Daniel Murillo (132) is the boys regional champion, continuing his astounding undefeated streak on the year and senior Stephanie Martinez (148) is the girls regional champion.

The other boys qualifier was senior Roger Moe who is going as an alternate. Moe has been an impressive heavyweight performer not easy trying to fill shoes of last years stat champion Sam Rice. Moe placed fifth at the region meet.

Sophomore Anna Woo (95) and junior Erika Lozano 128 placed second place at regionals while juniors Charlotte Lee (110) Cara Romeike (119) Leisa Hernadez (165) and freshman Koa Moe (185) also qualified for the state meet.

The coaches are expecting good things out of the qualifiers and even some surprises. Even though they have seen who Murillo and Moe will face, the girls competitors are unknown at this time.

“We like Daniel’s (Murillo) chances but we know that he has a difficult weight class,” coach Chip Lowery said. “We have seen all those guys before.”

Wrestling maybe out at 2020 Olympics

Every sport it seems will be represented at the 2020 Olympic. Every sport except one: wrestling.

On Tuesday, the IOC executive board vote and announced that wrestling will be dropped from the games, a decision that was a shock to everyone and caused some displeasure among wrestlers in the world.

The International Olympic Committee  cut the wrestling sport out of its 26 for the Olympics so they could keep modern pentathlon.

“Nobody saw that coming,” Lowery said. “There are a lot of people looking into it to try to figure out why it happened and to try to get something done.”