Established artists give tribute to others through covers

By Ben Cowlishaw

Every year, decade and generation is described by a set of songs that define the times. Today’s artists were inspired by yesterday’s stars, and often show appreciation for those before them by covering songs with their own creative twist.

Here are four incredible covers by already established and influential artists.

Johnny Cash covering “Hurt” by Nine Inch Nails

Johnny Cash was one of the fathers of country music while also establishing himself as one of the most influential artists in rock history. He had an active career until his death in 2003, which was followed by a pair of posthumous releases as part of his American Recordings series.

Roughly a year before his death, Cash released American IV: Man Comes Around, one of the most critically acclaimed of the series and the last of his albums Cash would live to see released, being certified gold before his death and platinum soon after. It features mostly covers, similar to the other American Recordings, and was recorded with the help of other artists, such as ex-Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante.

Cash included a cover of the mid-90s Alternative Rock song “Hurt” by Nine Inch Nails, an acoustic guitar based rendition that also features the intense pounding of a piano through the emotional climax of the song.

The song is accompanied by a music video of a visibly aged Cash playing the song in his home, with flashbacks of his life and career that can only be described as epic. There are very few moments in music that give me chills, and this is definitely one of them.

Cash’s selection of this very dark song creates a sense that Cash premeditated the timing of the recording and release of it to be near his death; soon after his wife died, Cash’s health quickly declined and he knew very well that he was close to his death. “Hurt” is meant to bring acceptance to Cash’s death while also memorializing his legendary career. “If I could start again, a million miles away, I would keep myself; I would find a way.”

Song available on iTunes, music video on YouTube

Thom Yorke covering “After The Gold Rush” by Neil Young

Yorke, the eccentric front man of the British rock group Radiohead, has long discussed the influence Neil Young has had on his career as a song writer and musician. Several years ago, Yorke had the chance to meet Young and asked him permission to perform “After The Gold Rush” in live shows.

Young approved, and went as far as to let Yorke use the very piano Young recorded the original song on. One or two verses of the song is occasionally performed by Yorke as an intro to Radiohead’s song “Everything In Its Right Place” in the band’s concerts.

Yorke performed the song in its entirety as a solo on Young’s piano in a Bridge School Benefit performance in Mountain View, Calif. Yorke’s famously recognizable voice allows him to affectively convey the song as having meaning to him without departing Young’s original sound.

Song available on iTunes, performed in Radiohead concerts

Mumford & Sons covering “England” by The National

While the band does not receive frequent radio airplay, The National garners a lot of attention from Alternative and Indie Rock fans, including other musicians and even President Barack Obama.

Mumford & Sons, who only recently became a household name in rock, covered “England” from The National’s 2010 album High Violet during a recording session. The version of the song was never part of a published work, but audio recordings have sprouted online.

Mumford & Sons effectively captures The National’s drowning indie rock anthem and adds its own famous folk sound, while keeping it very close and personal; their cover makes the listener feel like they are in the studio with the band.

Recording on YouTube

Cee Lo Green covering “Reckoner” by Radiohead

Perhaps the most intriguing covers are when genre lines are dramatically crossed. Cee Lo Green, also known for being the lead of Gnarles Barkley, has become known to frequently perform a tribute to Radiohead in many live shows with a cover of their In Rainbows single “Reckoner.”

Radiohead is no stranger to being covered by other artists. Their infamous 90s anthem “Creep” gave them their first taste of stardom, and to this day remains one of the most frequently covered songs in rock. But “Reckoner” is a very different animal. The song came 14 years and six albums after “Creep,” and represents a completely different musical style of the band.

Making the cover even more challenging, front man Thom Yorke sings in his famous high pitch falsetto through the duration of the song. Despite this, Green does the ethereal ballad justice, which explains why his cover has become such a fan favorite at his and Gnarles Barkley’s live performances.

Live performances on YouTube