Wrestling Notebook: Wrestlers shine on Senior Night

There comes a point in every high school athlete’s life where they take the court or field or mat for the very last time before shutting their doors on their high school athletic life.

Thursday, Jan. 24 just happened to be that day for the seniors of the Coppell wrestling team as they competed against the Dallas Skyline Raiders on Senior Night at CHS.

“We came out and beat a really good school and we had a really strong showing,” coach Chip Lowery said.

Before the matches began the seniors were honored in front of the home crowd by walking out and in an ever-so-chivalrous manner give their mom a flower. Another aspect of the night is that each individual wrestler was called out for their accomplishments they achieved on their time at CHS.

“Well you build up such a relationship with these guys and these girls and you watch their last match, but most of seniors won,” Lowery said.

When the honors and awards were finished the night was just getting started. Coppell dominated the meet winning overall and having most of their seniors win.

Senior Austin Flores had one of the most impressive feats of the night when he took down an opponent from Skyline that he previously had lost to three times in his career. It was an emotional moment for the senior that Lowery could only put in a few words as being a great match.

Other seniors, like Stephanie Martinez, also pinned their Dallas Skyline opponent.

Even though this is officially “Senior Night” it will not be the last time for them to step on the mat and represent CHS at home.

“It will not hit me as hard because I know that they will step on the mat tomorrow,” Lowery said. “Then it will be there last time to step on the mat and wrestle at Coppell, so it will take a while for it to sink in.”

Tomorrow night, the varsity will compete in their district tournament which CHS is playing host to, so for all those seniors that did not win or even for those that want to solidify their place in CHS wrestling history, it is their last shot before their CHS days are behind them.

District competition starts

On Thursday Jan. 31 the Junior Varsity wrestling team begins their goal of winning district in the end of the year JV district meet.

The varsity team will wrestle in the District 6 Tournament on Friday Feb. 1. In its last stop before the Region 3 meet at Allen on Feb. 8-9 and state tournament at the Delco arena in Austin, TX, varsity will have to compete in their last meet against teams such as Lewisville and Flower Mound.

This meet will give the varsity strong competition to start their play-off run in a district, that Lowery describes, that is the toughest district in the state.