Wrestling Notebook: Martinez provides leadership to young team

By Alex Nicoll

Sports Writer

On a boys team that is loaded with talent (Daniel Murillo, Gerald Meddaugh, and Austin Flores to name a few) and senior leadership (11 seniors) it’s easy to overlook some other leaders.

Senior Stephanie Martinez (148) is the only senior wrestler for the girls team and is living up to head coach Chip Lowery’s expectations for his returning state qualifier for girls.

This year alone, Martinez has placed first in the Frisco Centennial tournament and placed third in the annual Santa Slam tournament. She also got second in the Cowboy Classic held at CHS.

Martinez is one of the leaders that is soft-spoken but leads by example. Having experience in the Coppell wrestling program has seasoned her abilities.

“As a senior she (is a leader) but she is not very vocal. She’s out there on the mat and she shows the other girls how to do it,” Lowery said.

Martinez has been in the program for three year and was successful on the varsity girls’ roster last year.

“She had some success for us last year because she went to state as an alternate,” Lowery said. “Now she is just preparing for the end of the year.”

However as an alternate she was not able to show off her wrestling talents. Alternates, if not used, are not afforded the chance to wrestle at the state meet. This year, Lowery thinks, will be different for the senior.

“We think she has a good chance to make it to the state meet this year and wrestle,” Lowery said.

Wrestlers sweep top 4 at Dallas Jesuit

Over the past weekend the varsity boys’ wrestlers competed in the Dallas Jesuit tournament and found success in their deep depth of talented athletes.

Senior Daniel Murillo (132) placed first in the meet and continued his dominant undefeated streak. Junior Geoff Yut (182) placed second followed by senior Gerald Meddaugh (160) who placed third in the meet. Murillo’s younger brother sophomore David Murillo (145) took the number four spot at Jesuit.

Coyote Classic tests best JV wrestlers

On Jan. 19, Lowery sent the top JV wrestlers in the Coppell program to test their skills and wrestle in a varsity tournament.

The boys ended up taking eighth place out of 16 teams proving that they have what it takes to compete against top teams.

No athlete made it to the finals but the Cowboys had several place winners. Juniors Elliott Tostrud and Kilian Bresnahan were the top finishers both placing third in the event.