Basketball Notebook: Cowgirls venture through second half of district

Stephanie Gross

Sports Writer

The new district season has been proven to be a rough start for the Cowgirls, as they continue their conference games for the season.

The Cowgirls have a district record of 2-4 so far for the season and an overall of 11-18.

The first win of the district season for the Cowgirls was against the Denton Ryan Lady Raiders on Jan 15 at Denton Ryan. The girls were able to pull off a win with a close score of 36-32. This win put the Cowgirls at an overall record of 10-17.

The Cowgirls played another successful game against the Hebron Lady Hawks on Jan 22 at Coppell High School. The Cowgirls were able to win the game with a ten point lead at the end of the fourth quarter and ended up with a final score of 40-30. This win betters the Cowgirls record for district and puts Coppell one step closer to their goal of getting to the playoffs this season.

So far during the conference games that the Cowgirls have played, they have come extremely close to winning some of their district games. On Jan 18, Coppell faced the Lewisville Lady Fighting Farmers. This was a beyond a close game for the Cowgirls, as they only lost the game by one point. The Lady Fighting Farmers took the close victory with a final score of 40-39.

This close game against Lewisville added another loss to the Cowgirls district record.

With the wins against Hebron and Denton Ryan, the Cowgirls offensive and defensive abilities have really shown during these games.

“Our main goal for this season is to make it to the playoffs,” sophomore post Elena Grijalva said.

So far with their district record of 2-4, the Cowgirls keep working towards their main objective of making to district playoffs.

Beaty to finish senior year strong

Having a 5A Volleyball State Championship and a scholarship to play collegiate volleyball at University of Mississippi under her belt, senior Laura Beaty returns to play the game that started back in elementary school.

Introduced in fourth grade by her uncle, Laura developed friendships with her teammates, and this is what eventually brought her back to play her senior year.

“Some of the girls, like the seniors, I have played with since fourth grade,” Beaty said. “I just wanted to finish playing.”

At first she was going to be a manager for the team, but after injuries and other circumstances, Coach Neff asked her to play. Beaty credits being a dual sport athlete as cross-training, and that volleyball and basketball are more closely related than one thinks.

“[Playing dual sports] helps you become a better athlete,” Beaty said. “Even though basketball and volleyball are really different, it still has some same movement, concepts and ideas between the two.”

Her favorite part of the game is embarrassing the opponent like blocking a shot. On top of her skill level, her height plays a huge role in her success. Volleyball and basketball are both sports suited for taller people, and standing at 5’ 11, she is suited real well.

“It is a huge factor whether or not you are successful,” Beaty said. “[For example] you look at shorter players in volleyball, and all they play is back row.”

Regardless of height, Laura is looking foreword to her future in volleyball and finishing her season with friends in basketball.

“Basketball was just something to have fun with and play,” Beaty said.

By Jena Seidemann