Second time a charm for Cowgirls against Lady Hawks, win 40-30

By Stephanie Gross
Sports Writer

On Tuesday Jan 22 the Coppell Cowgirls took on the Hebron Lady Hawks at CHS for the second time during the district season.

The first time around, the Cowgirls lost to the Lady Hawks by the final score of 48-44. In the second district game against Hebron, the Cowgirls proved they could make a comeback and did, beating the Lady Hawks 40-30.

During the first quarter, Hebron took a small lead.  It went ahead by the score of 3-0 as the result of a three point shot two minutes into the game. The Lady Hawk’s lead did not last long as Coppell was able to take a strong lead of 12-4 by the end of the first quarter.

In the second quarter, the Lady Hawks began to make a comeback.  Hebron scored four points two minutes into the second quarter.  Senior guard Sydney Overman then came through and scored a three pointer, putting the Cowgirls ahead by the score of 15-8.  The lead for the Cowgirls,  however, did not last long as Hebron  blocked three shots  and made a three pointer which put the Lady Hawks up by the score of 19-15.

At the end of the first half, the Cowgirls pulled it together again and were able to end the half with a one point lead of 20-19.

For most of the third quarter, the score stayed close between Hebron and Coppell until junior post Jaidyn Phillips made two free throws, making the score 24-22.  Overman then made another three pointer which increased the Cowgirls lead.  At the end of the quarter, Coppell lead 27-22.

The Cowgirls were able to keep both the offense and defense strong during the remainder of the game. Scoring another four points in the first three minutes of the fourth quarter, the Cowgirls kept a steady lead against the Lady Hawks. With a rebound by Philips and a free throw by junior guard Caitie Galvin, the Cowgirls had a ten point lead by the last minute of the game.

Coppell prevented Hebron from scoring in the last minute of the game.  By doing so, the Cowgirls were victorious with a ten point win against the Lady Hawks.  The Cowgirls beat Hebron by the final score of 40-30.

Galvin played excellent offense as she scored the first five points of the game and shot continuous three pointers throughout all four quarters.  She also played well defensively.

“If you don’t have good defense, then your offense is usually weak,” Galvin said. “Our defense really builds our offense and both played very well together tonight.”

After losing to the Lady Hawks earlier on in district, the Cowgirls accomplished their goal of coming back and beating them the second time around.

“We really needed this win against Hebron,” sophomore post Elena Grijalva said. “It was a great accomplishment and put our team one step closer to getting to playoffs.”