Fight to the finish leaves Cowgirls’ with first district win

The Coppell Cowgirls won their first District 5-5A game against the Denton Ryan Lady, Raiders 36-32. Photo by Rowan Khazendar

By Jena Seidemann

The Coppell Cowgirls won their first District 5-5A game against the Denton Ryan Lady Raiders, the overall score was  36-32. Photo by Rowan Khazendar

In a confidence boosting and much needed win, Coppell won its first District 5-5A game against the Denton Ryan Lady Raiders 36-32.

The first quarter had only a total of eight points, as Coppell was able to hold Denton Ryan to two points. In the remaining points, Coppell had a six-point streak. Four consecutive points came from junior point guard Carina Zhao help spur the Cowgirls with their lead.

Two minutes into the second quarter, there was no scoring from either team. However, on the defensive side, Coppell began to rebound more, and Caitie Galvin made a crucial defensive stop without fouling, but for the first time, Denton Ryan was in lead at 8-7 after a basket. However, sophomore Elena Grijalva put the Cowgirls on top again with a basket just beating the buzzer heading into the half 9-8.

In the fourth, they began to slow down offensively, and the Lady Raiders were able to capitalize tying the game at 6:35 20 all. Ryan had a five-point streak before aggressive shooting led to a tie at two minutes left in the game. Sydney Overman made both free throws from the line as the clock dwindled down.

The final minute of the game brought a lot of action as Ryan scored a basket to pull ahead two. Overman fired back by making two free throws to tie at 21 seconds left. Cowgirl defense stayed strong and held the Lady Raiders to maintain the tie. Before you knew it, the buzzer blew and it was overtime. Coppell’s momentum was at a standstill as they fell 25-20 in the fourth before mounting a comeback and ending regulation tied with Ryan 27 all.

In the four-minute overtime, Coppell picked up their momentum and kept it. Key players were senior guard Sydney Overman who made every one of her free throws throughout the game (10/10) and Carina Zhao who kick started the offense in the first.

Sophomore Elena Grijalva and Adaiwu Nwaiwu had great rebounds and disruptive defense. Each of the Cowgirls’ had minimal turnover and possessed good ball control. Essentially the win was a collective team effort.

With the win, Coppell (1-3) will face Lewisville on Friday Jan. 15 at 6 p.m. in a home game.