Hawk earns recognition, keeps eyes on college goal

By Gaby Moran

Coppell football has definitely been making a statement across Texas, as it has been ranked among the top 20 class 5A teams for the past eight weeks. This has much to do with a new coaching staff and the many players stepping up this year. One such player is senior quarterback Hayden Hawk.

Although Hawk was second string quarterback behind Konner Joplin as a junior, he still was able to display his talent. His ability was especially evident during the Southlake Carroll game when he brought Coppell back to win in an overtime thriller.

“[Hayden] is a good kid, he works very hard, he’s very smart and he is like a 15th coach on the team when it comes to helping the other players on the field,” outside wide receiver coach Don Kemp said.

Photo by Katie Quill
Photo by Katie Quill

Now, during his senior year, Hawk has thrown for 2,879 yards and 29 touchdowns, while rushing for 270 yards for four touchdowns entering Saturday’s playoff game against Keller. With all of his accomplishments, Hawk is receiving recognition

“When a young man takes care of his business on and off the field and he treats his peers and teachers with character, great things happen,” head coach Joe McBride said.

Hawk’s first award was Babe’s Best, given by CBS 11 sports anchor Babe Laufenberg. Each week the station, along with the sponsor Cadillac, selects a local football player who shines on and off the field. Hawk was chosen and was interviewed by Laufenberg. He received a $1,000 scholarship with the award.

“It’s nice to be recognized as a good football player in the Dallas area level,” Hawk said.

FOX 4 also gave Hawk an award called High School Hero. The station also selects one outstanding high school football player a week, does an interview with the player and gives the player’s high school a $1,000 scholarship in his name. Hawk was chosen during the week of Oct. 26 and his interview aired Oct. 28. Interview can be found online.
While all of these awards are highly recognized in the Dallas area, Hawk has also been recognized nationally. The Joe Montana Quarterback of the Year award was established in 2007. It is awarded by a highly qualified committee consisting of the Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Montana, Prep Football Report editor Tom Lemming and DeBartolo Sports University resident Quarterback coach Joe Dickinson, which selects one high school quarterback across the nation which qualifies as the best. Before the committee votes, DeBartolo Sports University’s scouting division selects the top 50 quarterbacks in the nation.

Hawk discovered he was nominated for this award from an e-mail that was sent to head coach Joe McBride.

After the top 50 watch list comes out in late October, the list is narrowed down to 16 official nominees and then seven finalists. The winner of the 2009 “Joe Montana Quarterback of the Year” award will be announced in January.

“While there are a lot of good quarterbacks out there, I think Hayden has a chance to win because he can do anything if he puts his big head to it,” senior and wide receiver Patrick Hogan said.

While awards and nominations are a great way to recognize a player, Hawk has also been impressing college coaches.

At the end of October, Hawk received letters from Cornell University in Ithaca, N.Y. The whole offensive staff, including the head coach Jim Knowles, wrote hand-written letters congratulating Hawk on his season so far and how they are interested in him.

“I would love to be able to play college football,” Hawk said. “But my size has hurt that chance.”

The average Division 1 football quarterback is about 6-1in but usually run a little higher than that these days. Hawk is considered a small quarterback, which affects his chances with Division 1 schools. He is receiving a lot of attention from Division 1AA and Division II schools, though. The only drawback to D-II schools is that the schools cannot give athletic scholarships, although they can give financial aid or other scholarships.

“If a college is willing to give [Hayden] a chance, he can show them what he’s got,” Kemp said.

Hawk does not have official offers but Cornell, University of North Dakota, Western Kentucky University and Abilene Christian University have shown interest in him.