Field trip enriches lives of students

By Gaby Moran

On Tuesday Nov. 11, Coppell High Schools’ AP Art History and IB Art classes took a trip to the art museums in Fort Worth to broaden the students’ minds.

Over 100 Art History students met at the horseshoe to divide into groups and proceed to the buses. There were six groups of students each with a chaperone. Three groups went to the Kimbell Art Museum first while the other three went to the Modern Art Museum

CHS students heading into the Modern Art Museum in Fort Worth.

.

“I was so excited about this trip because it was a chance for us to see the art in the actual size and not on a PowerPoint or in a text book,” senior Natalie Wade said.

The Kimbell Art Museum has collections of mainly paintings from the 1500s to early 1900s. There were artists like Henry Raeburn, George Stubbs, Francisco Goya, Thomas Gainsborough and many others. At the moment, the museum is fortunate to have Michelangelo’s first painting; The Torment of Saint Anthony. This collection was a small piece of what paintings use to be like and it helped the students get a better feel about the history that they have been learning since the start of school.

“I liked the Kimbell because it was a chance for us to see older works of art and how people used the resources they had back then to make something beautiful,” junior Victoria Fleming said.

The Modern Art Museum allowed the students to see what art is like today. There were many different types of art from paintings to sculptures to photographs. They had art from Andy Warhol, Susan Rothenberg, George Segal and many others. What made this more interesting is how the artists’ art was different and loud with so many ideas, unlike the Kimbell that mainly had portraits of people.

“There were so many cool sculptures here that were so magnificent in their purpose and size,” junior Cate McMinn said.

The Modern Art Museum architecture was also intriguing. It was very modern and sleek but the back side of the museum drops straight to a huge pool of water that reflects the building in a unique way.

“This trip really made the class more interesting because we had a chance to use the knowledge that we have learned,” junior Tony Roh said.

The class will take one more field trip during the spring semester to the Dallas Museum of Art.