Wrestling Notebook: Murillo on way to state, remains undefeated

By Alex Nicoll

Sports Writer

As the wrestling season is under way and the team progresses, Coppell High School senior wrestler Daniel Murillo (132-pound division) is looking to make a huge impact this year and hopefully make it to State.

Murillo, a fourth-year wrestler, brings veteran leadership and experience to a time that is considered young and new. He is replacing the void that was left behind by former wrestlers and CHS students Sam Rice and Kaleb Richardson.

“When the whistle goes off, he just wrestles,” coach Chip Lowery said. “That might seem simple but he just wrestles.”

Lowery has stressed the fact that the young wrestlers this year think too much while they wrestle and question themselves. An example he put was that they might overthink if a move will work for them or not.

Murillo does not have this problem.

“Other people can’t hang with his pace, when he goes full go,” Lowery said.

He has had a scare this year that threatened his undefeated mark though.

In one match this year he tried a different style and went conservative on his opponent. He ended up going into overtime with the athlete but still came out on top.

“It shook him up a bit,” Lowery said.

So far this year he has remained undefeated and is coming off an impressive first place finish in the Norman, Okla. tournament that was a challenge for the Cowboys as the team as a whole did poorly in it.

His undefeated streak is not a surprise to anybody especially Lowery who has been with Murillo since the start.

“He has been wrestling with me since fifth grade in one of our youth clubs,” Lowery said.

Well, it has paid off.

Murillo has had an incredible career at CHS from wrestling his to varsity as a freshman and having a solid campaign, to making it all the way to state.

Varsity clobbers Farmers in dual meet

Last Thursday, the varsity wrestling team went over to Lewisville High School and came out victorious in its first district meet.

The boys team took nine out of the 14 matches while Murillo (132) and senior Gerald Meddaugh (160) kept their undefeated streaks alive.  To Lewisville’s top three athletes they only lost by points.

The program took JV wrestlers to the meet and gained valuable experience while winning most of their matches.

The girls team plagued with injuries and illness to freshman Koa Moe and senior Stephanie Martinez (148), only won two out of the six matches.

Coppell struggles in Norman

The varsity ran into tough competition in Oklahoma and suffered its first true lost this year. The meet was held over the past weekend.

“It was a very challenging tournament. It was tough. Oklahoma is known for being one of the best wrestling states. We went on and took some losses. Senior Gerald Meddaugh (160) lost for the first time this year. Some of our better guys took losses to better kids,” Lowery said.

Lowery was not unhappy with their performance, and some of the wrestlers performed extremely well. Murillo (132) placed first and junior Geoff Yut (182) placed third.

1