Hockey Notebook: Cowboys skating with four-game win streak on the line

By John Loop

Sports Writer

After a devastating 5-4 loss to Garland/Bishop Lynch, in which their opponent stormed back in the third period with three goals to win the game, the Coppell Cowboys have strung together a four-game push without losing.

Part of the reason the wins have piled up is the goalie play for the Cowboys.

Freshman net-minder Ryan Keane has stepped into slam the door on opposing attacks on the ice. The youngster has only allowed an average of 1.5 goals per game in the eight games he has played. Keane has dominated, winning seven out of those eight.

Also contributing to the streak has been the fast break of the Coppell offense. Forwards Alex Smith, Rasmus Raikaa, and Scott Brownrigg continue to lead the charge past the opposing blue line and create scoring chances.

Keane and Smith, both juniors, and Raikaa, a freshman, have combined to tally just over one third of Coppell’s assist total (25 of 77).

The Cowboys will look to keep their winning streak alive against the Plano West Wildcats at 8:00 pm. The game will be played at the Dr. Pepper Star Center in Plano.

Top line dominating competition

Sophomores Matt Lasky and Lucas Mendes, as well as freshman Rasmus Raikaa, are considered one of the top lines in the state of Texas. They are certainly backing that statement up with their time on the ice.

Lasky, Mendes, and Raikaa account for just over one third of the Cowboys’ offensive production.

The trio has assisted on goals 21 of 77 times, and scored 23 out of 75 total goals this season.

CHSHA to host first annual poker tournament fundraiser

Instead of handling the puck, the Coppell High School Hockey Association wants you to try your hand at poker.

This fundraiser will be CHSHA’s first this season.

Sponsored by J. Macklin’s Grill and benefiting CHSHA and the Coppell Cowboys Hockey Scholarship fund, the event will be held on Friday, Jan. 23 at the Texas Star Meeting Center, starting at 7:00pm.

There will be food, fun, and of course, Texas Hold ‘Em.

The cost is $75 per player, but non-players are invited to attend for the discounted price of $10. There will also be door prizes given away, as well as raffle drawings and a big prize for the final table.

Mark your calendars so you can be sure an attend this night of fun.

Notebook Schedule:

Monday: Boys Basketball

Tuesday: Girls Basketball

Wednesday: Hockey

Thursday: Wrestling

Friday: Swimming

1