Cowboys Playoffs 2009: Tepper’s take on Coppell-Keller game

Greg Tepper is a 2004 Coppell graduate and is the editor of the Coppell/Valley Ranch edition of neighborsgo, the community newspaper of The Dallas Morning News. A 2008 graduate of the Missouri School of Journalism, Tepper has worked in the sports departments of The Dallas Morning News and the Tulsa World, as well as interning with KESN ESPN 103.3FM in Dallas. While at Coppell, he was the sports columnist for The Sidekick from 2003-2004. Here’s his take on Coppell (9-1) vs. Keller (6-4) at 8 p.m. Saturday at Cowboys Stadium in the Class 5A Division I Region I bi-district playoffs.

Are you surprised in Joe McBride’s success this year and what have you seen him do to improve the Coppell defense?
Surprised? Yes, a little, only because it is rare for a new coach to come in and immediately improve a program (or, in this case, hold it steady). Shocked? Not at all. McBride established himself as an up-and-coming coach when he won a state title at Hebron as defensive coordinator. It was only a matter of time until he got a shot at a big job and, with all due respect to Frisco Liberty, he finally got his shot at Coppell. He’s a savvy guy who knows how to use the resources he has. As far as what he has done to improve the Coppell defense, it’s a lot of little things. He’s taken one of his best defensive player – Jared Parham – and put him into a hybrid role closer to what Demarcus Ware does for the Cowboys than what, say, James Harrison does for the Steelers or Brian Urlacher does (well, did) for the Bears. And it’s nice having Nic Johnston on the squad. But really, it’s a matter of pushing the right buttons, being aggressive at the right times and conservative at the right times. It’s not an accident that the Cowboys shut out a pretty good South Garland team, and a Weatherford team that barely missed the playoffs. And I know Coppell fans don’t want to talk about it, but holding Southlake Carroll to 24 points at home is quite a feat. In short, McBride is simply putting his players in a position to succeed.

There doesn’t appear to be much respect for Keller for Saturday’s game. What do you know about Keller and do they have a chance of upsetting the Cowboys?
Keller’s a hard team to get a read on only because of their competition. Every one of their losses – at Arlington Martin, against Euless Trinity, against Grapevine and against Colleyville Heritage – is acceptable. But then…who did they beat? Their best win is against a 5-5 Haltom team. Keller Central, LD Bell and Fossil Ridge all went 3-7, and Midlothian and Justin Northwest were atrocious. I do like Keller’s RB Kelo Webster; you don’t get 20 touchdowns on the ground by accident. And their QB Cameron Allerheiligen is good enough to hang with anyone. But the problem is, nobody scares you beyond that. The receiving corps is good-not-great, and the defense isn’t good enough to carry them if the offense sputters. Still, it’s the playoffs, so everyone has a puncher’s chance. Keller’s best hope, in my estimation, is to hope Coppell’s defense falls asleep during the late-night game and get into a shootout. If the Indians score less than about 30 points, I give them about a 1% chance of winning.

We all know about QB Hayden Hawk, RB Cam McDaniel and safety Nic Johnston. Which other players do you think are key to playoff success or guys who maybe have not received the attention they deserve?
I mentioned Parham, who I think is a player teams have to gameplan around (and no, not just because he’s committed to my alma mater). Another Coppell player I really like is WR Tyler Landis. He’s the guy that everyone forgets that every team needs: a solid possession receiver who provides a strong second option for Hawk. Jeff Johnson’s obviously the No. 1 on the team, but Landis does what he’s supposed to – get open and catch anything thrown to him – very well. He’s like Keyshawn Johnson, only minus the coach-hating.

Looking at Region I, you see traditional powers Odessa Permian, Euless Trinity, Duncanville and Plano. But Coppell has the best record in the region. How do you see Coppell faring in the region and who is the favorite?
I think Coppell got an excellent draw, personally. The Cowboys will be heavy favorites in their first three games – apologies to Irving MacArthur and Odessa, but Coppell is simply better. From there, Coppell will likely meet the winner of Permian and Trinity, which is a toss-up in my mind. But make no mistake: I think Coppell, if it plays as well as it’s capable, can win Region I. Permian and Trinity are still great, and a team like El Paso Franklin is tricky, and don’t sleep on Arlington Martin…but Coppell has as strong a chance to make it to the proverbial Final Four as it has ever had.

What is an area of concern for the Cowboys entering the playoffs?
Reading its press clippings? Right now, Coppell has to be confident that it can play with anyone. Its one loss came on a road to a team that could win Division II, and it has one of the strongest wins in the state (beating – and pretty decisively – Highland Park). If there is one area of concern, it is, ironically, Hayden Hawk. He’s been steady all the way for Coppell, but his last trip to the playoffs was not a pleasant one. If he gets his head right and realizes that he’s got tremendous weapons around him, he won’t try to win the game by himself. And if he does that, Coppell’s looking good.

Much has been made of the stiff competition in District 6-5A and how this will prepare teams for the playoffs. Do agree that games will benefit Coppell this week and in possible future games?
Absolutely. Southlake Carroll needs no explanation, but you really can’t overstate how important it was to play Marcus and Flower Mound. Marcus is one of the best running teams in the area, and Flower Mound is one of the best passing teams in the area. This experience, combined with playing Highland Park, is just what a team like Coppell needs. And really, Hebron’s a good team, too. Don’t forget that. I think that battle-tested teams are more likely to win when it counts – which is now. And Coppell is battle-tested.

Coppell fans always keep one eye on Southlake Carroll. How do you see the Dragons faring in the playoffs?
The Dragons have a significantly tougher road than Coppell. While I like Colleyville Heritage (coached by former Coppell head man Mike Fuller), I think the Dragons will make short work of the Panthers. But then the gauntlet starts: state champion Allen; then either a dangerously athletic Arlington Bowie team or an Amarillo team that is the class of West Texas; then undefeated and state No. 1 Cedar Hill (or maybe unbeaten El Paso Coronado or Abilene, but probably CH); then likely longtime SLC foe Katy; then the state title game, where it doesn’t really matter who they play because they’ll be awesome. That is a hellish road to the title, and I’m not sure the Dragons are good enough to navigate all of those games. Then again, we’ve all said that before, and they’ve got a fist full of rings.

Having followed Coppell football longer than current students on campus, do you have any playoff stories or memories to share?
Positive Coppell memory: the Cowboys beating a super-athletic South Grand Prairie team in 2003. Negative Coppell memory: watching the Cowboys get ousted on a missed extra point after a bogus celebration penalty in the state quarterfinals in 2000.

Coppell/Keller prediction?
I think there’s about a 5% chance that Keller wins, and it would have to be in grandiose fashion, something like 56-55 in overtime. The other 95% of me leans toward Coppell coming out determined and overpowering an overmatched Keller team. Give me Coppell 48, Keller 20.