Cowgirls come out victorious against Irving

Cowgirls+come+out+victorious+against+Irving+

Stephanie Gross

Sports Writer

The Coppell Cowgirls varsity basketball team put up a good fight against the Irving High School lady Tigers and came out victorious.

With good game strategy and much hustle the Cowgirls managed to stay ahead for most of the game. Only a minute into the game, senior shooting guard Kara Williamson and sophomore post Elena Grijalva both scored the first four points of the game.  Throughout much of the first quarter the Cowgirls played steadily and ended the quarter with a 10-10 tie.

During the second and third quarter the Cowgirls also kept their lead, rarely letting the lady Tigers get ahead of them.

“We came out at the end of the first half ready to beat them,” senior guard Sydney Overman said. “I felt like our pep talk during half time propelled us to get out there and win.”

In the third quarter junior shooting guard Caitie Galvan shot two consecutive 3 pointers, the first with 6:15 on the clock and the second with 5:44 putting the Cowgirls at a winning score of 33-21. Throughout the remainder of the third quarter, the Cowgirls played with good energy even when the lady Tigers began to gain momentum and started to make a small comeback, but this was not enough for them to advance past the Cowgirls.

In the remainder of the fourth quater, the Cowgirls were able to stay on top as they did so throughout much of the game. With the Cowgirls scoring four times in the last quarter, they ended up with a final score of 58-41. It was yet another successful night for the Cowgirls.

“We really came together as a team and fought through the entire game to stay ahead,” sophomore small forward Adaiwu Nwaiwu said. “Once we got familiar with the other team and how they played, we came together and knew how to beat them.”

The Cowgirls take on Plano West next week on Nov. 29.