Mahon takes ride with Cowboys

Mahon takes ride with Cowboys

By Tanner McCord
Sports Writer

At the end of today’s game when the 2012 season came to an unfortunate close, one common thing being showed among the players was their appreciation for their quarterback. Senior Colby Mahon and his family moved to Coppell late last year and Mahon took over the starting quarterback spot.

Although he was only here for a year, Mahon quickly adapted to the Cowboy playing style and throughout the season played a key role in each Cowboy victory, connecting often with wide receiver Cameron Smith. Today, Mahon’s career at Coppell came to a close, however this is not a season that anybody will soon forget.

“(Coming to Coppell) was a big leap of faith for me and for my family,” Mahon said. “I thank God every single day for bringing us here and for allowing me to have multiple opportunities to let him shine through me.”

Today Mahon completed 17 of his 29 passes, a completion percentage of about 58%, and threw for 217 yards and two touchdowns against a ferocious DeSoto secondary. On the year, however, Mahon maintained a completion percentage of  about 64%, completing 123 out of his 191 passes for a whopping 1,951 yards and 25 touchdowns. Twenty five touchdowns in 123 passes means one in every five passes thrown by Mahon would score. Even more impressive is the fact that in 12 games, Mahon only threw two interceptions.

Mahon’s time at Coppell may not have been for all four years, but the time he had was made worth while.

“It has been a great season. I would’ve never expected my senior year to look like this and I wouldn’t trade it for anything.” Mahon said.