Senior night ends in blowout win

By Alex Nicoll

Sports Writer

For some seniors Friday night’s game was their favorite and most emotional game yet. For others, not so much.

“Beating Allen was probably one of the best feelings I have had on this field,” senior running back Luke Jenner said.

No matter how you look at it, Coppell’s 41-3 drumming of the Lewisville Farmers to win district and solidify their perfect season, is as impressive as they come.

They did it in Rudy type fashion as well. At the end of the movie all the seniors get to enter and play the game, just as it seemed on Friday night.

Not only did they play they were a major contributor to the win.

Senior wide receiver Harrison Holzer had an amazing 31 yard run and six other senior wide receivers caught a pass.  The defensive seniors got into the game as well.

Then of course you have senior quarterback Nathan Hernadez taking snaps behind center. The stadium starting chanting the “Nathan”, “Nathan” but coach Joe McBride decided to run out the clock at the end of the game.

Jenner even had a touchdown score.

The emotions ran high on senior night as McBride and the Coppell football program presented senior wide receiver and defensive back Jacob Logan’s No. 21 jersey to his family in retirement before the game and it seemed to fuel the team to its dominating performance.

“For the seniors I think the most important thing was just laying it on the line for Jacob (Logan). I told them to carry a piece of him out there tonight,” McBride said. “Play your butt off and honor him with great effort. I do not know how many games we have won this year, but I just challenge them every week to play like he would and to be the example he was.”

Finishing the season and their Coppell career undefeated was nice, but McBride and the team are now focused on their next goal.

“I am looking forward to these guys being rewarded for their effort and going to Cowboy’s Stadium. I am just happy these kids are in the playoffs and have earned a lot of respect around the state,” McBride said.