Basketball Notebook 2: Start of the season

By Tanner McCord
Sports Writer 

On Wednesday, the Coppell Cowboy varsity basketball team took on Carrollton Creekview and Euless Trinity in its first scrimmages of the year.

The boys started this 2012-13 basketball season without the senior class that provided so much intensity and leadership last year and without long time coach Brad Chasteen.

However despite the graduating of coach and players alike, the Cowboys new senior class and new head coach Kit Pehl have all stepped up. Senior forward Patrick Barden recently talked with The Sidekick sports writer John Loop in regards to the changes that summer brought and how those changes are taking flight and overall, the feedback is very positive.

Barden is one of seven seniors on the team. However, the official team rosters have not come out yet so it is unclear how many will be playing on the varsity or junior varsity teams.

Seniors include Everett Schau, Patrick Barden, Calvin Michaelis, Alex Guess, Matt Behrndt and Walter Munnings and again despite the unofficial rosters all seniors bring a certain sense of leadership with their age. With the new leadership stepping up and the new coaching program, the season’s outlook is strong.

“Coach Pehl knows what he’s doing and our seniors have really stepped up and led us. We have a difficult schedule, but we’ll be able to hold our own.” Junior guard Brandon Watson said.

As for results for Wednesday’s scrimmage, the Cowboys took on Creekview and Trinity at 5 p.m. in the CHS gyms. The starting lineup included juniors Landon Gosling, a guard, forward Josh Feitl and forward Simi Socks and seniors Patrick Barden a guard and forward Walter Munnings. The team played a total of seven quarters against the two teams and won five. The conditioning included in this year’s program is already appearing to have paid off, and coach Pehl’s program is already taking effect.

The Cowboys will get one final opportunity to compete before the regular season tomorrow against L D Bell in Hurst. However, nondistrict will officially end on Monday as they travel to take on Plano East Senior High to kick off the regular season and begin the start of a new basketball legacy.