Cowboys defeat Flower Mound Jaguars 45-24

By Andy Tabor

The Coppell football team stamped their first round ticket against Keller by beating the Flower Mound Jaguars Friday night, 45-24. 

Coppell was led on offense by senior quarterback Hayden Hawk. Hawk had 353 yards throwing and four touchdowns in the game, cementing himself as a top quarterback in district 6-5A.  Hawk also led the Cowboys to one of Coppell’s best records ever.

“At the beginning of the year I thought this was a possibility.” Hawk said. “To see that it came true is a great accomplishment.”

To start the game however, Flower Mound looked like the sharper team, scoring on their opening drive of the game.  They held the Cowboys to a mere field goal and continued their aerial assault on the Cowboys.

Flower Mound junior quarterback Paul Millard had a great game throwing for 431 yards and three touchdowns in a losing effort.  Millard would be right on target to his receivers but then the Coppell line-backing corp and safeties were ready to punish the Jaguar receivers.

Junior line-backer Brandon Mullins had an amazing game with 14 tackles and an interception that led to a Coppell score at the end of the second quarter to give the Cowboys momentum going into halftime.

The second half was all Coppell as they used the momentum built before the half to pummel and out score the Jaguars 21-7 in the final half. 

The Cowboys now have the Keller Indians to get ready for in their opening first round match up.  Junior Cam McDaniel may be a key performer in these playoffs, getting a chance to start this season with the absence of Evans Okatcha.

“Looking at the bracket, I really like our chances to go far,” McDaniel said. “We will have to play perfect football against talented opponents but being in such a tough district should have prepared us for tough match-ups.”

If the Cowboys want to go far, many think they should stick to their strategy during the season, hoping their suffocating defense and high powered offense will boost them into rounds that no other Coppell team before has experienced.

Photo Gallery by Caitlin Conner
[Gallery=47]