Short week does not stave Cowboys

The Coppell Cowboys try to get the ball from the Denton Ryan Red Raiders. Cowboys won, 21-3, making the Cowboys the district champions. Photo by Regan Sullivan.

By John Loop
Sports Writer

After their victory against the Marcus Marauders almost a week ago, the Coppell Cowboys had deal with a short week of practice to get ready for last night’s matchup versus the Denton Ryan Red Raiders, which they won handily, 21-3.

The game was played on a Thursday, deviating from the normal Friday night atmosphere. But, in truth, nothing has been normal for the team in a while.

“We do not really know what normal is right now,” head coach Joe McBride said after the game. “But we got our Monday and Tuesday practice in, and we did a little thing on Wednesday morning. This is the ninth week so you really should know what you are doing.”

The team knew exactly what they were doing, showing that the abbreviated schedule would not have any effect on both the defensive or offensive units for Coppell.

The high-octane offense, led by senior quarterback Colby Mahon, racked up a grand total 281 yards of offense. The always-stingy defense forced three turnovers (two interceptions and one fumble).

Even though the game ran smoothly on both sides of the ball, there were still some small mishaps on special teams.

Junior kicker Adam Centers booted two bad punts of 19 and 37 yards. Although the two kicks were Centers’ only ones of the game, the special teams leader is still looking to improve.

“The quick turnaround was actually better than I hoped,” Centers said. “We have still got some things to work on. Punting, obviously. Just doing well and getting better for next week.”