Special luncheon to honor National Merit Commended Students

By Thomas Hair
Opinions Editor

Every year, there comes a time in October when every high school student in America must sit down and complete the Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT). This test is more than just a way to get out of class or practice for the “real” SAT. For many students, it is their one shot to become a National Merit Scholar, and in turn, earn enormous scholarships to practically any university.

Of the millions of students that take the PSAT, the approximately 50,000 highest scorers are bookmarked by the National Merit Scholarship Corporation. Though only 16,000 of these 50,000 will advance to become National Merit Semifinalists and considered for scholarships, the other 34,000 distinguished testers earn the title of “National Merit Commended Student”. Commeneded students represent the top 3% of highest scorers, typically earning a score in at least the 200s.

A few weeks ago, Coppell High School’s National Merit Semifinalists were announced and displayed on the Wall of Honor. The 21 names on the list is the most semifinalists Coppell has ever had. On Wednesday, October 31 Mike Jasso and the CHS Staff will recognize all of Coppell’s commended students during a special luncheon in the Library during 4th period. Coppell had 46 commended students last year, but with the record number of semifinalists this year, even more Cowboys are expected to be commended scholars.

Though Commended students do not qualify for scholarships from the National Merit organiztion, earning the distinction is certainly favorable in the eyes of colleges and makes students eligible for special scholarships outside of the National Merit organiztion. After the congratulatory luncheon in the Library tomorrow, the commended students will have their names listed on the Wall of Honor below the portraits of the semifinalists.

1