In clash of district leaders, Cowgirls tame Lady Jaguars in a five game match

The Cowgirls are also ranked second in the nation according to Maxpreps rankings. With these stats, the Cowgirls are going into their second round of district play with a high confidence, and a goal that leads them back to the state finals. Photo by Rowan Khazendar.

By Alex Nicoll

Sports Writer

On Friday, the Coppell Cowgirls volleyball team took on the Flower Mound Lady Jaguars. The Cowgirls came out on top, winning in five games against a solid Flower mound team.

Both teams started out strong tonight, neither one giving up much ground. The score kept bouncing back and forth, no team had a clear-cut rout going. Then the Lady Jaguars started to pull away going up 11-6 on the Cowgirls and never looked back. Flower mound kept pounding the middle and took game one with a score of 25-18.

The Cowgirls came back strong the second game and held a five point lead over the Jaguars throughout the game. Coppell capitalized on multiple lane infractions committed by the Lady Jaguars that gave the possession back to Coppell and won the second game with a score of 25-20.

With the momentum of the second game carrying them, the Cowgirls dominated the third game. Seniors middle blocker Chiaka Ogbogu and outside hitter Cassidy Pickrell led the charge and had several kills that helped Coppell crush Flower Mound 25-16 in game three.

Coppell started off strong in game four creating a 13-7 lead over the Lady Jaguars. Flower Mound came alive and over a series of hitting areas and lane violations against the Cowgirls, they came back to win game four 25-21.

The Cowgirls seem to deviate from their usually game plan as they had to adjust to Flower Mound’s hitting style, which created more opportunities for the Lady Jaguars to score.

“We did not stay within our game plan, but when we do and share the ball evenly good things will happen for us,” coach Julie Green said. “We lost focus a little bit due to stress. They were an outside hitter team so we adjusted our blocks to reflect that a little bit, they hurt us in the middle on the two so we adjusted our block on that. We play to our strengths but when we do not, we struggle.”

In game five, the Cowgirls stormed the court and, behind the digs of senior Erica Bohannon and the kills of Kylie Pickrell took down Flower Mound 15-7 to win the match.

“We knew that after the fourth game, we had to bounce back and get ready to pull out the win,” Pickrell said. “We just had to focus in and get it done.”

They definitely got it done as that win, pushed them past Flower Mound to take the sole spot of district leader and prepared them for the playoffs.

“I love a good game five where it works out for you, it gave us an opportunity to play a good team and make some adjustments,” Green said.