Cowboys take on nationally-ranked Allen Eagles

At the recent game against Garland Owls, Coppell’s defense gears up to improve during this football season. Photo by Rowan Khazendar.
At the recent game against Garland Owls, Coppell's defense gears up to improve during this football season. Photo by Rowan Khazendar.

By Alex Nicoll

Sports Writer

Fans will flock far and wide to witness one of the most anticipated match-ups of the season take place at Buddy Echols Field this Friday night as the Coppell Cowboys take on the Allen Eagles.

The Cowboys are coming into the game after a Homecoming night victory against the Garland Owls, winning 35-14 behind the arm of senior quarterback Colby Mahon, who threw for three score. The team is 4-0 on the season, and have moved up to claim the honor of being ranked as one of the top-ten ranked teams in the area coming in at number 10.

The tenth nationally ranked Eagles, who also are 4-0 on the season, are ready to prove their ranking against the Cowboys after they blew out a solid Hebron team 42-17.

Actually the Eagles have blown out every team they have faced this year.

Their average margin of victory is around 25 points.

This poses a challenge for the dominating Coppell defense, who have been a major reason to the success of the Cowboys this year.

The Eagles have shifted from a pass-first to a run-oriented team this year after they lost (2011 graduate) quarterback Alec Morris. So far this season they have 15 rushing touchdowns compared to only five passing scores.

Behind the high-scoring offense for the Eagles is senior quarterback Oliver Pierce.

Here’s the thing though, Price is not only the starting quarterback. He can do it all.

This athlete carries the ball from the backfield, lines up at the receiver slot, and is a kick-returner for the Eagles. Through four games he has accumulated a total of seven touchdowns.

Talk about a dual-threat quarterback.

He even has gotten a sack this season for the defense.

More players to watch for are senior running backs Jeff Harris and Marcus Ward. They have combined for 761 yards rushing the ball and 10 touchdowns.

These players are responsible for carrying most of the load offensively for Allen. Besides these three stand-outs, the offense has no play-makers.

There is no clear threat at receiver and even though the offensive line position is deep, senior captain and center Brad North was injured last week with an ankle injury and may not be able to play.

Coppell senior linebacker Tanner Masters and the Cowboy defense will have to keep them contained Friday Night if they have a shot at beating the Eagles.

The defense for the Cowboys has been solid this season and is prepared to take on the Eagles, showing that they should be considered one of the best.

They have given up high of 14 points to opponents this year, and have held them under the 10 points in three out of four games.

The Allen defense has been over-shadowed by their offensive counter-parts to say the least. With most of the defensive being returning starters you would expect them to be stout and difficult to face.

The truth is they are not as amazing as one may think.

Even though they shut out the Southlake Carroll Dragons 24-0, the defensive unit has given up at least 17 points in the three games after that performance.

Mahon and the offense for Coppell are looking to capitalize on Allen’s defensive woes and pound the ball with junior running back Gavin McDaniel, and senior running back Luke Jenner.

The Eagles, who have given up 599 rushing yards over the past three games, struggle with run defense and that, will play to the strengths of the Cowboys.

Coppell’s run game might be the game-changer for the Cowboys .