Coppell shuts down Garland with 35-14 win on Homecoming night

Senior wide receiver Cameron Smith managed to score at the beginning of the second quarter after a 17 yard pass from senior quarterback Colby Mahon, the second of the night. Photo by Rowan Khazendar.

By Alex Nicoll

With Homecoming week coming to a close, the Coppell Cowboys put the icing on the cake with a 35-14 win over the Garland Owls tonight at Buddy Echols field.

The Cowboys, coming into the game with a 3-0 record and fresh of a win against the Rockwall Yellowjackets, started off the game slow. Their first drive resulted in a fumble that was recovered by Garland. This seemed to be the only stumbling point for Coppell in the game.

On the Owl’s first possession, the Coppell defense shut them down and forced a turnover on downs when Garland senior running back E’Lon Green was stuffed on fourth down.

Coppell took the ball back and marched down the field behind the legs of sophomore running back Charles West and junior running back Gavin McDaniel.

The drive was capped off with a 38 yard touchdown pass from senior quarterback Colby Mahon to senior defensive back/wide receiver Jacob Logan.

After Garland was forced to punt on the next possession, the Cowboys capitalized a scored again from a 17 yard pass from Mahon to senior wide receiver Cameron Smith at the beginning of the second quarter.

The game calmed down after this drive as neither team scored before halftime.

To open the half, Garland was stopped on fourth down and gave the ball back to the Cowboys. Overcoming three offensive penalties, Mahon added another score with a 31 yard pass from Mahon to Smith, his second of the night.

With that score, Cameron Smith moved into a tie for first for most receiving scores in the area with seven.

The Owls surprised many and gave the Coppell defense, known for its great run defense, a challenge. The speed of the Owls proved difficult as they gained 209 yards on the ground. The Cowboys also gave up the most points in the game so far this season with 14.

“We watched video, we watched film, so we knew how fast they were how physical they were, and they had big ol’ backs. We knew we had to be very disciplined and everybody do their job,” coach Joe McBride said.

On Garland’s next drive, junior quarterback V.J. Gates was intercepted by Coppell junior defensive back Chris Adkins. The defense seemed ready for the Owl’s passing game.

“We just work hard every week , mentality’s been the same since the first week, the defense practices hard no matter who we play, every half we try to get a three and out, which we did not do tonight but we recovered,” Adkins said.

This resulted in a two yard touchdown blast by West, after being set up by a 50 yard run by McDaniel.

In a night filled with so much energy it overshadowed the mass of injuries that occurred in the game, the most serious being a Garland lineman.

The player did not seem to move as coaches, and medical personnel rushed onto the field towards the end of the third quarter. After a good 10 minutes the lineman was moved onto a stretcher and carted off the field and play resumed.

Garland’s V.J. gates connected with junior wide out Ja-Taveon Green for a 59 yard strike to the Coppell 21 yard line. After one play, Garland junior running back Jaharrad Haskins burst through the line for a 21 yard score, to make it 28-7 in Coppell’s favor.

The Cowboys answered with a five yard touchdown run after an impressive drive, led by Mahon who completed two passes for 46 yards.

Garland scored one more time on the night with a quarterback take from V.J. Gates for a 28 yard score to make the games final score 35-14 Coppell.

McBride is already focused on next week. This game provided the much needed morale boost going into next week’s game against third ranked Allen.

“It gave us another game in and if we stay healthy, which I pray we still do, it gives us more experience because of one more game. It also prepares us, and gives us confidence. They are a great football team (Allen),” McBride said.