Cowgirls look to extend season against Colleyville Heritage

Game Tonight 7:30 at Grapevine High School. Photo by Tyler Morris.

By Andy Tabor

The Coppell Cowgirls begin their postseason against Colleyville Heritage tonight at Grapevine.  The Cowgirls have had a week to prepare for Colleyville and improve their own game.

“I think that we are ready for this challenge.” Freshman Cassidy Pickrell said. “As long as we work together and not act to cocky we should be able to win.”

The Cowgirls will be playing with Freshman Erica Bohannon and senior Co-captain Taylor Meade, each active tonight.  Bohannon had a fluke accident to sustain her injury.

“Well I was riding my bike in my neighborhood and my foot fell off the petal and I just fell.” Bohannon said. “I laughed at first but then I didn’t realize the seriousness of the injury until now.”

The knee injury is a yet another small set back for this Cowgirl team already dealing with plenty of adversity.  Junior Chandler Hatton will fill the void left by the freshman most of the match Tuesday night.  

“Chandler is up for challenge because she is comfortable with the position.” Bohannon said.”Chandler plays middle blocker for her select team so while I am not in, she can still perform up to par.”

Cowgirl middle blocking and kill scheme will need to improve if they want to make it past the first round this year.  Senior Kirstin Hazelrigg will need to have a big influence in the middle and lead the team.

This possibly being the Cowgirls last game, should make them emotional and pumped up for the biggest game of the season.  Coppell comes into this game ranked ninth in the area with the record of 33-10 while Colleyville Heritage is un-ranked in the area and have a record of 31-9-1.

The main keys to the game are back row defense and kill percentage.  As long as the defense gets the ball up to the setter, then the Cowgirls should win.  Plus, if Coppell gets good kill shots early on the Heritage Panthers, it will make the game quicker and more suitable for Coppell’s overall strategy.  The match starts at 7:00 between Coppell and Colleyville.