Croft earns his stripes as a Trinity Tiger

Senior Teddy croft commits to play baseball at Trinity next year. Photo by Brian Hwu.

By Chase Porter

Senior Teddy Croft commits to play baseball at Trinity University this fall. Photo by Brian Hwu.

Many athletes coming to play college sports next year have goals and dreams of moving into the sport as a professional, but for some such as senior Teddy Croft they just play for the love of the game.

Since freshman year, Croft has been committed to the Cowboys baseball team establishing an impressive four-year career. Playing infield and being a major contributor to the Cowboys batting line up, Croft will be sorely missed next year.

Recently, Croft has committed to Trinity University in San Antonio to play baseball for the Tigers and be apart of their 2016 class. Croft expects to play infield.

Croft’s process to committing started differently than many others. He was spotted at a recruitment camp at TCU over this past summer by the Trinity coaches, but Croft says he did not think it was an extremely serious conversation that the Trinity coach was having with him.

“When I spoke to the coaches at the camp I was excited but I didn’t think anything of it because speaking to coaches at camps like that is a pretty normal thing,” Croft said.

Just a month after Croft visited the camp his phone rang with an unusual area code. It was the Trinity coach Zach Fregosi that Croft spoke to at the camp, and he was giving him the chance of a lifetime for those who are in love with the sport they play.

“The coach called me about a month later and at that point I knew these coaches were for real,” Croft said. “They told me one of their infielders had transferred out and they were offering me a spot on the team for my freshman year.”

That was all the convincing Croft needed but decided to discuss the opportunity with his loved ones. When the Trinity granted Croft an academic scholarship he couldn’t back away and committed to Trinity.

“They told me if I committed to the team in the fall and came out to practice and showed them what I had they would consider me to start for next season,” Croft said.

Beyond just the opportunity to play baseball year round Croft is also excited for a fresh start and a new experience.

“I’m excited to live in a new place and just experience college life and college athletics,” Croft said.

Croft will be venturing into Trinity in search of a degree in finance since Trinity’s finance degrees are very prestigious. If finance does not work out in his he said he’d be fine with playing baseball his entire life.

“We play the game because we love it,” said senior pitcher Holden Novak, who is attending Centenary College in Shreveport, La. “Playing in college will be more of an occupation for us but there is nothing more a ball player wants than to play baseball through college and inter the [Major] League.”

Croft and many of his teammates this past season with the Cowboys including Novak will be playing baseball in college and will be doing what they love.